Pages

Adamson House
Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (p.1722), Now MacDonald Youth Services and Hostel
All People's Mission
Detail: close view of sign in front of exterior entrance stairs, Also known as Point Douglas Mission, Later became known as Manitoba Indigenous Cultural Education Centre (MICEC), 2011 renovation by Bridgman Collaborative Architecture
Allman Block
Exterior: general view
Archibald House
Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1984). For PDF of report, see source below., Home of Heber Archibald
Ashdown Hardware Store
Exterior: view looking south along Main Street (photo taken 1965), Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1986). For PDF of report, see source below., The Ashdown Store: revisiting historic Winnipeg. Winnipeg: Faculty of Architecture, 2001. Arch/FA NA 747 W5 A83 2001, Steen, James Elder. Illustrated souvenir of Winnipeg. Winnipeg: Rotary Clubs of Winnipeg, 2003. FC 3396.37 I43 2003 Dafoe and St. John's College libraries, Named after J.H. Ashdown, Destroyed by fire in 1904, J.H.G. Russell designed replacement building, 1904-1905, Moody Moore renovations, 1959, Prairie Architects Inc. restoration 2002, Former Crocus Fund Building, Additional image located in the Architecture/Fine Arts Library
Ashdown House
Exterior: general view, Peterson, M. Winnipeg Landmarks. [2 volumes] Winnipeg: Watson and Dwyer, 1995, 1998. Arch/FA Quick Reference NA 747 W5 P48 1995, NA 747 W5 P484 1998 (Volume 2), Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1983). For PDF of report, see source below., Rostecki, Randy R. Crescentwood: a History. Winnipeg: The Crescentwood Home Owners Association, 1993. Arch/FA FC 3396.52 R67 1993, Building File, Moir, Gillian. Early buildings of Manitoba. Winnipeg: Peguis, 1973. Arch/FA NA 746 M36 E17 Arch/FA Quick Reference Dafoe St. John's, Home of J.H. Ashdown
Ashdown House
Home of J.H. Ashdown, Demolished, Image of exterior view located in the Architecture/Fine Arts Library
Ashdown Warehouse
Exterior: distant view - Peters & Russell (photo taken 1975), Butterfield, David. If walls could talk: Manitoba's best buildings explored and explained. Winnipeg: Great Plains Publications, 2000. Arch/FA NA 746 M3 B88 2000, Exchange District: an illustrated guide to Winnipeg's historic commercial district. Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg Corp., 1989. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.18 W293 1989, Graham, John W. Guide to the architecture of Greater Winnipeg. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 1960. Arch/FA Reserve NA 747 W5 G7 Arch/FA Quick Reference, Park, Kip. Historic Winnipeg restoration area: an illustrated guide to Winnipeg's historic warehouse district. Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg, 1983. Arch/FA Quick Reference NA 747 W5 P37 Arch/FA Main Stacks, Thompson, W.P. Architecture of Manitoba: an exhibit prepared by Professor William P. Thompson for the Manitoba Association of Architects and the Manitoba Centennial Corporation. Winnipeg: s.n., 1970. Arch/FA NA 746 M3 T46, Thompson, W.P. Winnipeg architecture: 100 years. Winnipeg: Queenston House, 1975. Arch/FA Ref NA 747 W5 T45 Arch/FA Main Stacks, Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1985). For PDF of report, see source below., "Ashdown Warehouse to be Preserved as Apartments." City Magazine 7, no. 2 (March 1985): 13., Thompson, W.P. Winnipeg Architecture. Winnipeg: Queenston House, 1982. Arch/FA Quick Reference NA 747 W5 T5 1982 Arch/FA Main Stacks, Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (p. 944), Emmond, Ken. "Ashdown Warehouse." Award Magazine 4, no. 1 (December/January 1990): 50-51., Building File, Steen, James Elder. Illustrated souvenir of Winnipeg. Winnipeg: Rotary Clubs of Winnipeg, 2003. FC 3396.37 I43 2003 Dafoe and St. John's College libraries, Russell additions: 1904, 1906, 1911, LM Architectural Group renovation: 1988, Further image(s) of exterior views are located in the Architecture/Fine Arts Library
Augustine United Church
Exterior: general view, Building File, Over, W. Percy. "Northwest Letter." Canadian Architect and Builder XVI (September 1903): 148-149. (Wade 236)
Balmoral Hall School
Former Sir James Albert Manning Aikins House
Beckett House
Building File, Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (p.1530), Rostecki, Randy R. Armstrong's Point: a history. Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg Corporation, 2009. Arch/FA FC 3396.52 R77 2009, Home of Charles Henry Beckett, "The Gateway to the Granary of the British Empire." Construction 3, no. 2 (December 1909): 54-82. (Wade 299)
Calder Residence
Home of F.C. Calder, Image(s) located in the Architecture/Fine Arts Library, Building File, "Domestic Architecture as Illustrated in Suburbs and Country." Construction 4, no. 12 (November 1911): 53-94. (Wade 325)
Calvary Temple
Exterior: general view after renovations by Cooper Rankin Architects, Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1984). For PDF of report, see source below., Addition by Russell, 1904, Main building demolished, 1985 (except for the tower)
Campbell Bros. and Wilson Building
Detail: corner of brick facade (photo taken 1980), Exchange District: an illustrated guide to Winnipeg's historic commercial district. Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg Corp., 1989. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.18 W293 1989, Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1983). For PDF of report, see source below., 1913 addition by J.H.G. Russell
Casa Loma Building
Binning, Cheryl. "A stately survivor." Winnipeg Free Press (March 20, 2004): H3., Building File, Image(s) located in the Architecture/Fine Arts Library, West, J. Pender. "Apartment Blocks in Western Canada." Construction 5, no. 5 (April 1912): 47-54. (Wade 333)
Childs Building
Exterior: general view with Toronto Dominion Bank to the left and Nanton Building to the right (photo taken 1962), Butterfield, David. If walls could talk: Manitoba's best buildings explored and explained. Winnipeg: Great Plains Publications, 2000. Arch/FA NA 746 M3 B88 2000, Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1981). For PDF of report, see source below., Siamandas, George. "The End of the Childs Building." City Magazine 10 (1988): 8-9., Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (p. 641), Demolished 1988
Coronation Building
Exterior: general view, Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (P. 899), Robert Block, Alterations by J.H.G. Russell, 1902
Crane Supply Building
Exterior: general view, Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (P. 1438), See also Lombard: 1976 renovation
Crescent Fort Rouge United Church
Exterior: general view, Building File, Also known as Fort Rouge Methodist Church
Cross Residence
Building File, "The Gateway to the Granary of the British Empire." Construction 3, no. 2 (December 1909): 54-82. (Wade 299), Home of William Henry Cross
Daylite Building
Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1987). For PDF of report, see source below., Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (P. 1163), Russell's work 1904, Image of exterior view located in the Architecture/Fine Arts Library
Dingwall Building
Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (P. 810)
Franklin Press Building
Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1983). For PDF of report, see source below., Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (p.958)
Free Kindergarten Building
Now known as Logan House
Galpern Candy Company
Park, Kip. Historic Winnipeg restoration area: an illustrated guide to Winnipeg's historic warehouse district. Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg, 1983. Arch/FA Quick Reference NA 747 W5 P37 Arch/FA Main Stacks, Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1985). For PDF of report, see source below., Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (p.1101)
Glengarry Block
Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1987). For PDF of report, see source below.
Grassie Residence
Rostecki, Randy R. Crescentwood: a History. Winnipeg: The Crescentwood Home Owners Association, 1993. Arch/FA FC 3396.52 R67 1993, Home of William Grassie
Green and Lister Block
Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1989). For PDF of report, see source below.
Hammond Building
Park, Kip. Historic Winnipeg restoration area: an illustrated guide to Winnipeg's historic warehouse district. Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg, 1983. Arch/FA Quick Reference NA 747 W5 P37 Arch/FA Main Stacks, Year past: report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee. Winnipeg: Historical Building Committee, 1979- Arch/FA FC 3396.7 W56 (1980). For PDF of report, see source below., Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (p. 802)
Harvey Residence
Also known as Dunedin, Home of William Harvey, Building File, "The Gateway to the Granary of the British Empire." Construction 3, no. 2 (December 1909): 54-82. (Wade 299)
I.O.O.F. Home
Peterson, M. Winnipeg Landmarks. [2 volumes] Winnipeg: Watson and Dwyer, 1995, 1998. Arch/FA Quick Reference NA 747 W5 P48 1995, NA 747 W5 P484 1998 (Volume 2)
Knox United Church
Exterior: general view, Peterson, M. Winnipeg Landmarks. [2 volumes] Winnipeg: Watson and Dwyer, 1995, 1998. Arch/FA Quick Reference NA 747 W5 P48 1995, NA 747 W5 P484 1998 (Volume 2), Thompson, W.P. Winnipeg Architecture. Winnipeg: Queenston House, 1982. Arch/FA Quick Reference NA 747 W5 T5 1982 Arch/FA Main Stacks, Saunders, Ivan J. et al. Early building in Winnipeg. Vol. 1-7 [in 3 physical volumes] Ottawa: Parks Canada, 1974. Arch/FA Ref FC 3396.7 S38 1974 (p.1062), Building File, "New Knox Presbyterian Church, Winnipeg." Construction 10 (December) 1917: 402-405. (Wade 382), Moir, Gillian. Early buildings of Manitoba. Winnipeg: Peguis, 1973. Arch/FA NA 746 M36 E17 Arch/FA Quick Reference Dafoe St. John's, Manitoba Heritage Site Designations and Heritage Buildings Grants. Winnipeg: Manitoba Culture, Heritage..., 1991-1999. Arch/FA Ref FC 3362 M3544; Dafoe Gov Docs Can6 Man1 Co924 H47 (1991-92)

Pages