- A weekly founded January 27, 1898 by a group of Liberals including Morris M.P. Alphonse Martin, l’Écho du Manitoba had a specific goal. Laurier’s victory at the federal level and the Laurier-Greenway compromise of 1897 had revived the French Liberal party in Manitoba, which needed an official organ. Its program was simple: “our race, our language, our religion”. The last issue was published on July 20, 1905, when its editor Henri d’Hellencourt left Manitoba for Québec.
The University of Manitoba Libraries has digitized several Manitoban newspapers and funded the digitization of the Winnipeg Tribune, the Manitoban, and Czas (The Times). These digitized newspapers document every facet of life in Manitoba throughout its history, providing an invaluable resource for historical research.