Pages

Marketa Newman fonds
Marketa Newman was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia in 1918. She married Arthur ("Bobek") Neumann (later changed to Newman), and had two children, Karel (changed to Charles or Chuck) and Eva. She and her family were taken to the "model concentration camp", Terezin, in 1942. The family emigrated to Canada in 1949, first staying in Toronto, and settled in Saskatoon in September 1949. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1962 and a Bachelor of Library Science degree from the University of Toronto in 1964. From 1964 until her retirement in 1985 she worked for the University of Saskatchewan Library in the cataloging, acquisitions, and collection development departments. She was the author of Biographical Dictionary of Saskatchewan Artists - Women Artists and Biographical Dictionary of Saskatchewan Artists - Men Artists. In 1997, largely in recognition of the dictionaries, she received an honorary degree from University of Saskatchewan. The digitized material from the Marketa Newman fonds consists of files relating to immigration to Canada from Czechoslovakia - correspondence and telegrams, including with Nathan Phillips, regarding an Order-in-Council; and subsequent letters to family regarding the immigration experience.
Mary A. Wawrykow fonds
Mary A. Wawrykow, a prominent judge and community leader of Winnipeg, was the first woman of Ukrainian origin to practice law in Canada, and only the third Manitoba woman. She was born in Wakaw, Saskatchewan in 1911. Her parents Mykyta and Anna Zakus had emigrated from Ukraine and settled on the Canadian prairies. Mary graduated from the University of Manitoba Faculty of Law in 1934. She started practicing law in Gimli, Manitoba in 1940. Prior to that, from 1936-1940, she was employed in the Attorney General's Dept. In 1942 she and her husband moved to Winnipeg where she became a prominent figure in the law community. In 1955 she became president of the Women Lawyers Association of Manitoba and was named “Women of the Year” by the Winnipeg Tribune. In 1959 she ran for the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba in the provincial constituency of Inkster. She was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1965. The Roblin government appointed her a part-time judge of the Winnipeg juvenile and family court in 1968 and in 1975 Mary was appointed a judge responsible for the Provincial Judges’ Court of Winnipeg (North). She was very active in many Ukrainian Canadian organizations. The digitized material from the Mary Wawrykow fonds consists of photographs of Mary Wawrykow's family, of several Ukrainian women organizations, and of St. Joseph's Parish.
Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk fonds
Maxim Hermaniuk served as the first Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Catholic Church of Canada from 1956 until 1993. Throughout this appointment Hermaniuk sat on many prominent commissions and councils and worked tirelessly to meet the religious, cultural and social needs of the Ukrainian Catholic community. The digitized material from the Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk fonds consists of several photographs of Ukrainian Catholic churches and church facilities in Manitoba.
Michael Ewanchuk fonds
Born in 1908 in Gimli, Manitoba, Ewanchuk was the son of pioneer settlers. Upon graduating from Gimli High School he attended the Detroit Institute of Technology and Detroit City College (now Wayne State University). He received his B.A., B.Ed., and M.Ed. degrees from the University of Manitoba - later receiving two honorary Doctoral degrees from the University of Manitoba and the University of Winnipeg. Upon completion of his service with the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1946, he was appointed Inspector of Schools. Ewanchuk served on various curriculum committees and was chairman of a committee that organized the introduction of Ukrainian instruction in the high schools of Manitoba. Interested in oral history, Ewanchuk conducted a series of interviews in the 1930's with Ukrainian seniors and began writing oral histories. He also wrote articles and reports for several Ukrainian papers. He later published several books on Ukrainians, including Spruce, Swamp, and Stone: A History of the Pioneer Ukrainian Settlements in the Gimli Area (1977), Vita: A Ukrainian Community (1977), and Hawaiian Ordeal: Ukrainian Contract Workers 1897-1910 (1986). The digitized material from the Michael Ewanchuk fonds consists of records pertaining to his immigrant family, photographs of Ukrainian immigrant settlers, and audio recordings of his interviews with Ukrainian pioneers.
Neepawa Film Collection
Collection consists of films created to document events or activities in the town of Neepawa. The digitized material from the Neepawa Film Collection consists of home-movie footage shot by Roy McGillivray documenting the progress of the 1966 fire of St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church, which was built on Mountain Road during 1923-1925, as well as the appearance of the site the following winter, and the building used as a temporary facility by the congregation.
Ogilvie Flour Mills fonds
In 1811, Alexander Ogilvie joined his uncle John Watson in Montreal and added his millstones to his uncle's mill. In 1872, a mill was built at Seaforth, Ontario, and two years later another at Goderich. In 1895, the Ogilvie company acquired an oatmeal mill in Winnipeg. In May 1902, the executors of the Ogilvie estate sold the flour mills and seventy elevators to a Canadian-owned syndicate and formed the Ogilvie Flour Mills Co. Ltd. From 1912 to 1939, Ogilvie Flour Company were purveyors of flour to King George V, which indicated Ogilvie flour had been adopted by the royal household. In 1949, Gerber-Ogilvie Baby Foods Ltd. was formed and Ault Milk Products was purchased. In 1957, Ogilvie sold their fifty percent share of Gerber-Ogilvie Baby Foods Ltd. to Gerber, and in the same year Ogilvie-Five Roses Sales Ltd. was consolidated. Ogilvie bought control of Catelli stock in 1960. Between 1966 and 1996 Ogilvie Mills sold, purchased, and amalgamated with many companies including General Bakeries Ltd., Beatrice Foods Inc., Delmar Chemicals, Laura Secord Candy Shops Ltd., Catelli-Habitant Inc., and Gourmet Baker Inc. In 1968, Ogilvie became a subsidiary of John Labbatt Ltd.. In 1993-1994, Archer Daniels-Midland Co. purchased Ogilvie Mills from John Labbatt Ltd. At the time, the annual sales had reached $275 million. The digitized material from the Ogilvie Flour Mills fonds consists of over 300 photographs of Ogilvie mills throughout western Canada, as well as an outline of the early mill history of the organization.
Parks Canada fonds
Located less than an hour away from Edmonton, Alberta, Elk Island National Park protects the wilderness of the aspen parkland, one of the most endangered habitats in Canada. This beautiful oasis is home to herds of free roaming plains bison, wood bison, moose, deer, and elk. Also boasting over 250 species of birds, the park is ideal for bird watchers. Other recreational activities within the park are wildlife viewing, hiking, cross-country skiing, picnicking and overnight camping. The digitized material from the Parks Canada fonds consists of photographs of Ukrainian pioneers who settled near the Elk Island National Park in Alberta.
Per Holting fonds
Per (pronounced "Pier") Holting was born in Denmark, 1930. While traveling on a temporary U.S. visitor's visa he arrived in Canada in 1950 where he settled for the rest of his life. He worked as a researcher for a power company in Ontario before pursuing formal training in journalism. In 1956 he graduated from the University of Western Ontario with a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism. He also became a Canadian citizen that year. Holting worked for 30 years as a freelance journalist and broadcaster doing most of his work for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Many of his writing assignments were published in Macleans Reports. Holting also enjoyed doing radio and television programs for children such as Vacation Time and Stop, Look and Listen. The digitized material from the Per Holting fonds consists of drafts of Holting's autobiography, including his immigration experience, and his Canadian citizenship papers.
Philip Ruh fonds
Philip Roux was born August 6, 1883 in Alsace-Lorraine, France. In 1898, Philip entered studies with the Oblate Fathers in Valkenburg, Holland. In 1905 he began his studies at St. Boniface Monastery in Hünfeld, Germany, where he was ordained into the order in 1910. Assigned to serve the Ukrainian Catholics in Canada, he first studied in Ukraine, learning the language, the customs, and the Byzantine rite. He served pioneer communities in north-eastern Alberta from 1913 to 1923, where he began to build churches, despite no formal architectural training. In 1924 he was assigned to ministry in Manitoba. The parish of Cook’s Creek was his home base from 1930 until his death on October 24, 1962. In 1941 he was elevated to the status of Canon. His dedication to the the Shrine of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Lourdes, France inspired the Lourdes Calvary-Grotto in Cook’s Creek, the last of more than forty construction projects, designed or built by Ruh. The Grotto was unfinished at the time of his death. Several Ruh structures have been designated as historic sites. The digitized material from the Philip Ruh fonds consists of 15 blueprints created by Father Philip Ruh featuring his designs for Ukrainian Catholic churches, as well as nearly 200 photographs of the interiors and exteriors of Ukrainian Catholic churches and church facilities, many of which were designed and constructed by Father Ruh.
Prairie Immigration Experience
The Prairie Immigration Experience is a collection of nearly 15,000 digitized archival documents, including diaries, correspondence, photographs, and audio and video recordings from the holdings of the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections and the University of Saskatchewan Archives. These archival records detail the experiences of the hundreds of thousands of immigrants of varied nationalities and ethnicities, who came to Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta in search of a better way of life. The records detail the full immigration experience, from their arrival in Canada, to the hardships they faced settling in a new country, to the lasting effects immigration has had on Canadian society and culture.
Prairie Prestige: How Western Canadian Artists Have Influenced Canadian Art
The Prairie Prestige digital collection will demonstrate how western Canadian artists influenced artists throughout Canada and around the world. It will demonstrate how western Canadian artists have been instrumental in shaping Canada's sterling reputation as a world leader and innovator in art and culture. Prairie Prestige: How Western Canadian Artists Have Influenced Canadian Art features digitized archival material from the fonds of several prominent western Canadian artists, namely Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald, George Swinton, Arnold O. Brigden, Elizabeth Maude MacVicar, Bertram Brooker, Leo Mol, and Angus Shortt. In addition, the religious work of several Ukrainian-Canadian artists is also showcased. Digitized photographs, correspondence, diaries, catalogues, sketches, drawings, and audio clips from the archival holdings of these individuals demonstrate the quality of their work and their relevance to the national art scene. Canadian art is a key component to the cultural mosaic in which we live and the archival records of the artists included in this digital collection vividly emphasize this point. The records have been digitized from the holdings of the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, the Winnipeg Art Gallery Archives, and the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg Archives.
Prairie Theatre Exchange fonds
The Prairie Theatre Exchange occupies an important place in the cultural and educational life of Winnipeg. In 1958, two of the city's oldest theatrical organizations, Theatre 77 and the Winnipeg Little Theatre, merged to form the Manitoba Theatre Centre (M.T.C.). The M.T.C. set out to provide a better public service through improved professional productions, more new plays, and the development of future artists, which John Hirsch and Tom Hendry were instrumental in developing. In 1960, the M.T.C. formed the Manitoba Theatre School to emphasize its educational mission, but after twelve successful years the School was closed due to lack of funding. In 1973, however, through an effort spearheaded by Colin Jackson and Charles Huband, the Manitoba Theatre Workshop (M.T.W.) was opened as a replacement to the Manitoba Theatre School. The M.T.W. supported creative expression in the community through its school, its outreach program, and its theatre by encouraging local playwrights and performers. In 1981, the organization changed its name to the Prairie Theatre Exchange while reaffirming its original objectives. In December 1988, the Prairie Theatre Exchange realized a major objective when it was approved as a Teaching Centre by the University of Manitoba. In 1989, after realizing long and steady growth, the P.T.E. moved from its original home on 160 Princess Street (the old Grain Exchange Building) into its new $3.5 million facility comprising 42,500 square feet in the Portage Place Mall in downtown Winnipeg. This collection features photographs of past Prairie Theatre Exchange productions and their performers.
Professional Hockey in Winnipeg
The Professional Hockey in Winnipeg exhibit is a celebration of the history of professional hockey in Winnipeg. Featured are images of players, fans, coaches, management, and community figures that supported or were connected to Winnipeg's professional hockey heritage. Most notable among these are images taken during the era of the Winnipeg Jets, the city's professional hockey team from 1972 to 1996. Photographs from early days of the former Winnipeg Arena inspire nostalgia for a not-so-distant past, and hockey greats such as Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe can be spotted along with various Jets players from the 1970s. This exhibit is composed of content selected from the much larger Winnipeg Tribune Fonds and Henry Kalen Fonds held at the University of Manitoba Archives and Special Collections.
Roman Yereniuk fonds
Roman Yereniuk is an associate professor of St. Andrew’s College and a sessional lecturer in the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies at the University of Manitoba. He teaches courses in Church history of Eastern Christianity and the experience of the Ukrainian Canadians. In addition, he is a school trustee with the Winnipeg School Division. As a creative writer and a storyteller in the Ukrainian Canadian community, Yereniuk has a passion for telling stories about Ukraine, Ukrainian Canadians, and multiculturalism. The digitized material from the Roman Yereniuk fonds consists of film reels of a 1935 rally in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan of the Canadian Ukrainian Youth Association (CYMK). They offer individual and group footage of young Ukrainians from the western region as well as scenes of the prairie city in the mid-thirties. There are some striking frames of the delegates participating in mass calisthenics.
Roslyn Stanwick fonds
Roslyn Stanwick, native of Cook’s Creek, Manitoba, took digital photographs of the Cook's Creek Ukrainian Catholic Church and Grotto to illustrate a seminar presentation for a University of Winnipeg course. She was comparing the original Grotto in Lourdes, France with the Cook’s Creek Grotto, designed and undertaken by Rev. Philip Ruh, OMI, in 1954, in central Manitoba. The digitized material from the Roslyn Stanwick fonds consists of several digital photographs of the Lourdes Grotto and the Ukrainian Catholic church in Cook's Creek, Manitoba. Both structures were designed by Father Philip Ruh.
Simon Simonarson fonds
Simon Simonarson was among the early Icelanders who immigrated in the 1870s to the original Icelandic settlement in Kinmount, Ontario. Along with other pioneering settlers, he worked as a labourer clearing the land before moving to New Iceland in the Gimli area around 1875. In Gimli he was a homesteader and a farmer until leaving New Iceland for Winnipeg. The digitized material from the Simon Simonarson fonds consists of his diaries from 1904-1914. They were written in Icelandic twenty-three years after the fact and described Simonarson's decision to emigrate from Iceland to Canada. The diaries describe the first year at Kinmount, experiences with the first settlers in New Iceland, his decision to leave New Iceland for Winnipeg, his life in Winnipeg after 1881, and genealogies of Simonarson and his wife Valdis Gudmundsclottis. Also included is a copy of W. Kristjanson's translation into English of an excerpt from the diaries and a description of Icelandic pioneers of 1874 from the reminiscences of Simonarson.
Skapti Arason fonds
Skapti Arason was born in Iceland in 1850 and in 1874 immigrated to Quebec, with 360 other Icelanders, on a ship operated by the Allen ship lines. After arriving in Quebec, Arason proceeded on to Toronto with the majority of the other Icelanders. In 1875, Arason was sent by the Canadian government to scout out settlement prospects in the new province of Manitoba. It is believed that Arason was one of the first Icelanders to visit Manitoba. Upon arrival in Winnipeg, Arason and three other Icelanders traveled up the Red River and onto the western shore of Lake Winnipeg before choosing to begin a settlement near present day Gimli. In 1881, due to repeated crop failure, Arason left the settlement on the Interlake and resettled on a homestead near what would become the town of Glenboro. Arason farmed in the Glenboro area until his death in 1903. The digitized material from the Skapti Arason fonds includes a copy of a memoir by Skapti Arason, one of the first Icelandic settlers to Manitoba. The seven-page memoir tells of Skapti's immigration to Canada, his subsequent travels to Manitoba, the settling of the Icelandic community on the western shore of Lake Winnipeg and the founding of the town of Glenboro.
Spencer Family fonds
Percy Spencer was born in England and came to Canada in the 1880s. He homesteaded in the Russell area, where he and his wife had seven children. One of his daughters, Lucy, became an R.N. in 1931. Her diaries are particularly interesting for what they reveal about women's education and careers in the first part of the twentieth century. Scholars in the fields of Women's Studies and History will find useful information in these diaries. Historians will also find the diaries kept by Percy Spencer himself very useful. He wrote consistently and over a long period of time on the difficulties of homesteading. The digitized material from the Spencer Family fonds consists of diaries and account books of Percy Spencer between 1884 and 1886, which detailed an English immigrant family's homesteading experience in the Russell, Manitoba area. Also included are diaries written by Lucy Spencer, which reflect the status of women's education in the early-1900s, her nursing certificate, and photographs of her graduating class.
Sterling Demchinsky fonds
Sterling Demchinsky is an amateur photographer, a Canadian of Ukrainian descent, born in Flin Flon, Manitoba in 1957. He moved to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in 1975 for university, later departing for Ottawa to work as a technical writer for the Federal Government of Canada. Two decades later, he began to photograph Ukrainian churches, in particular churches of historic interest in forgotten corners of Ukrainian settlement on the Prairies and in British Columbia. With each successive year since the inception of the project, Demchinsky has continued his efforts, methodically recording historic and modern churches in select geographic locations. In addition, he has studied iconography, and has created a website to showcase in photo and in text, the results of his efforts.
Stobie Family fonds - Theatre, Ballet and Concert Programs
William and Margaret Stobie were English professors at the University of Manitoba with strong connections to the local and national theatre communities. William served a term as President of the Winnipeg Little Theatre Group. Margaret spent several years acting, producing and directing local theatre as well as working for the CBC in various dramatic roles. This digital collection consists of theatre, ballet and concert programs dating from 1936 to 1979 collected by the Stobie's. Included are programs from the Winnipeg Little Theatre Group, Shoestring Theatre, University of Manitoba Stage and Glee Clubs, Children's Theatre, Manitoba Drama Festival, Winnipeg Summer Theatre Association, Manitoba Drama League, Theatre 77, Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, and many more.
Sybil Shack fonds
Sybil Shack was born in Winnipeg on 1 April 1911. She graduated from the University of Manitoba with a B.A. in 1929 and attended Normal School to become a teacher the following year. Due to a lack of teaching positions, she supported herself writing editorials for Weekly News, the Independent Labour Council newspaper, taking general assignments for the Western Jewish News, marking papers or giving private tutorials. She also found placements as a substitute teacher before finally securing a job at Foxwarren, Manitoba. After three years in rural Manitoba she returned to teach in Winnipeg. In 1945 Shack returned to the University of Manitoba and received a M.Ed. degree the following year. Between 1950-1952, she took post-graduate courses at the Ontario College of Education. She was principal of several schools starting with Sargeant Park School in 1948 and retired as the principal of Kelvin High in 1976. For thirty years she was involved in school broadcasts over television and radio with the C.B.C. In 1969 she received an Honorary Doctorate (LLD) from the University of Manitoba. Shack is the author of several books. Shack was an active board member for several organizations and was the recipient of several prestigious awards, including the Order of Canada and Provost of the Buffalo Hunt. Shack died on January 22, 2004. The digitized material from the Sybil Shack fonds includes textual and photographic records pertaining to Shack's teaching career, her CBC educational broadcasts, and her writing and research on women and education. A video of a discussion with Shack and other female educators is also digitized as well as documents pertaining to her Russian immigrant father, correspondence and articles relating to immigrant children, an article on antisemitism, notes on Jewish refugee children from the Second World War, and photographs of her family adapting to life in Canada.
Tennenhouse Family fonds
Morris and Annie Tennenhouse emigrated from Rumania to England in 1900. After four years in England, the Tennenhouses immigrated to Canada and set up a homestead in Camper, Manitoba. Frank Tennenhouse, the youngest of 11 children, and the author of the manuscript, was born in 1922 in Camper. Shortly after Frank's birth, the family moved to Winnipeg and in 1932 to Stony Mountain. The Tennenhouse family then operated a family farm near Stony Mountain for the next six decades. Frank Tennenhouse worked on the farm and from 1954-1988 was an assistant professor of agricultural engineering at the University of Manitoba. The digitized material from the Tennenhouse Family fonds consists of an unpublished manuscript entitled "Seventy Five Years of Farming in Manitoba: A Collection of Stories of Life on the Farm." Written by Frank Tennenhouse, the manuscript recounts many different aspects of Manitoban farm life from 1911-1988 including rural education in the 20's and 30's, day-to-day farm life, Jewish ethnicity in rural Manitoba, and the language issues facing new immigrants to Manitoba in the first half of the twentieth century. The manuscript incorporates copies of several family photos into its text.
Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg fonds
The Archeparchy of Winnipeg is the Metropolitan See of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in Canada. It is led by the Metropolitan Archbishop of Winnipeg, Lawrence D. Huculak, OSBM. The Canadian Metropolia of the Ukrainian Catholic Church is comprised of this Archeparchy and its suffragan eparchies: New Westminster (British Columbia and the territory north), Edmonton (Alberta and the territory north), Saskatoon (Saskatchewan and the territory north), and Toronto and Eastern Canada (Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic Canada and the territory north). The archeparchy itself covers Manitoba and the territory north thereof. As of 2007, the archeparchy has 29,000 Catholics in 130 parishes, served by 29 eparchial priests, 11 monastic priests, 13 deacons, and 17 Women Religious. The digitized material from the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg fonds consists of an article written by Gloria Romaniuk, Archivst for the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg Archives, which tells the story of how a stone from Lourdes, France came to be installed in the Cook’s Creek Grotto, in Manitoba, and a 9:50 minute colour, silent DVD, entitled Building of St. Josaphat Cathedral, produced by the Basilian Fathers in Edmonton, Alberta, between 1939 to 1944.
United Grain Growers Ltd. fonds
The precursor to the United Grain Growers was formed in 1901 in Indian Head, Saskatchewan, by a group of farmers who came together to discuss common problems related to grain farming. The "Grain Growers" concept spread quickly to Alberta and Manitoba and in 1917 the movement amalgamated its commercial interests in the three Prairie Provinces to form United Grain Growers Ltd. The infrastructure of the company included grain elevators, terminals, and a farm supply network. UGG bought or built an extensive series of country elevators across the West from 1912 to the 1960s. Grain terminal facilities were also constructed and included facilities at Thunder Bay, New Westminister and Vancouver. Through their elevator system the UGG sold supplies such as coal, twine, chemicals and fertilizer to their farm customers. On November 1, 2001, it merged with Agricore (formed by the consolidation of the Manitoba and Alberta Wheat Pools) to form a new company, Agricore United. In 2007, Agricore United merged with Saskatchewan Wheat Pool to form Viterra. The digitized material from the United Grain Growers fonds consists of nearly 1800 pages of histories pertaining to the United Grain Growers grain elevators in towns throughout Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
W.C. Murray fonds
Walter Charles Murray started his academic career at the University of New Brunswick, receiving a BA in 1886. After earning a grammar school license at the provincial Normal School, Murray went to University of Edinburgh and received a MA in philosophy in 1891. After a brief period of study in Berlin, Murray returned to UNB as Professor of Philosophy and Economics. From 1892 to 1908, he was Munro Professor of Philosophy and lecturer in Education at Dalhousie University. In 1908 he was appointed the University of Saskatchewan's first President, a position he held until his retirement in 1937. In conjunction with his duties at the University of Saskatchewan, Murray served on a number of commissions, boards and councils. Upon his retirement he was named President Emeritus and remained active in the local community until his death in March 1945. The digitized material from the W.C. Murray fonds consists of correspondence, notes, reports, photos, maps, evidence and lists pertaining to Dr. Murray's activities on three royal commissions and as a judge of the Community Progress Competitions. These Competitions were conceived by the Colonization Department of the C.N.R. to ascertain what contributions people of Continental European origin had made to community life in certain districts, and to what extent they stimulated further community progress and development. The records contain the assessments of the judges on community life on the districts that entered the competition.
William Wsiaki fonds
William (Bill) Wsiaki was born in Wynyard, Saskatchewan in 1955. In 1973, he began his employment with the University of Manitoba Libraries. Currently, he is the Library Supervisor at the Father Harold Drake Library, St. Paul’s College. In addition to being employed at the University of Manitoba, from 1979 to 1989, he contributed news reports, human interest stories, and features and photos to numerous Canadian magazines and newspapers. In 1984, he was one of the official photographers for the Manitoba Papal visit of Pope John Paul II. In 1989, he began WPW Video Productions. From 1989 to 2001, he produced television documentaries and educational video series. During this period, he received 4 international and 3 national awards for video production. Two of his documentaries were reviewed in the American national audio and video publication Videomaker. Some of his works are archived at Library and Archives Canada in Ottawa and at Yad Vashem in Jerusalem. Topics of his video productions include Catholic religious issues, Ukrainian history and culture, and aboriginal marriage preparation. From 1995 to 1999, he was the Winnipeg producer for KONTAKT, the Ukrainian culture and news program produced in Toronto. The digitized material from the Bill Wsiaki fonds consists of a video entitled Headlines: 90 Years of the Ukrainian Voice Weekly, 1910-2000.

Pages