Pages

A.H. Reginald Buller fonds
Arthur Henry (A.H.) Reginald Buller was born August 14, 1874 in Moseley, Birmingham, England. In 1904, Buller was appointed the first professor of Botany and Geology at the University of Manitoba, one of the original six professors hired by the University. Buller served as Head of the Botany Department until his retirement in 1936. Buller won international recognition for his work on fungi and wheat rust. The drawings included in this digital collection were discovered by faculty of the University of Manitoba Botany Department in Dr. Buller's original map cabinet. They consist of hand drawn, inked, and watercoloured botanical diagrams and charts.
A.S. Morton Manuscript Collection
Arthur Silver Morton came to the University of Saskatchewan in 1914 and served both as head of the History Department and University Librarian until his retirement in 1940. Upon arriving in Saskatoon, Morton embarked on the study of Western Canadian History and the preservation of the region's historical documents and historic sites. Over the next four decades he published several books. The digitized material from the A.S. Morton Manuscript Collection includes photographs and documents relating to prairie settlement, including pioneer accounts; manuscripts collected by James Frederick Church Wright relating to the Doukhobours in Canada; statements of pioneer settlers; stories of pioneer experiences in Saskatoon; early settlers' reminiscences; documents pertaining to immigration among Hungarians, Mennonites, Icleanders, and Ukrainians; the papers of "New Canadians"; biographies; and the Meilicke papers.
Alice Cameron Brown fonds
Alice Cameron Brown was born in Rolling River, Manitoba in 1898 and grew up near Minnedosa, Manitoba. She was the daughter of Sarah and Duncan Cameron. In 1921, Alice graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Manitoba. While working as a teacher in Tisdale, Saskatchewan in 1922, she met James Edward Brown. The couple and their daughter Elizabeth Allison lived in Tisdale for twenty-six years. In 1934, Brown won first prize in the Canadian Author's Association poetry contest. The winning poem was published in a few magazines, after which numerous poems of hers were published. In 1952, the Brown family moved to Beamsville, Ontario where James passed away in 1965. Alice Cameron Brown died in 1993. The digitized material from the Alice Cameron Brown fonds consists of correspondence pertaining to Brown's teaching career.
Alpha Omega Society fonds
The Alpha Omega Society was created at the University of Saskatchewan in 1930 to "foster such social and intellectual activities as will bring the students of Ukrainian descent into a closer bond and a clearer understanding within the rest of the University." The digitized material from the Alpha Omega Society fonds consists of a scrapbook that contains photographs and yearly lists of Alpha Omega Society members from inception in 1930-1931. Also included are booklets from graduations and concerts, newspaper clippings from the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix, University of Saskatchewan Sheaf and Ukrainian New Pathway (in Ukrainian) detailing society activities and student achievements. Correspondence between members, faculty and other individuals are also included in the scrapbook, which was compiled in 1962-1963.
Andrew Taylor fonds
Andrew Taylor (1907-1993) was one of Canada's foremost polar explorers. Taylor, a Scottish immigrant, earned his engineering degree from the University of Manitoba in 1931. Upon graduation, he landed a job as a Provincial Surveyor and in that capacity, he observed much of rural Manitoba prior to its transformation brought about by hydro-electric, agricultural, mineral, timber and urban development. He was stationed in Churchill, Manitoba in 1931 and 1932. Taylor moved to Flin Flon, Manitoba in 1933 and eventually became Town Engineer. In this capacity, many of the town's roadways, drains, sewers and water supply lines are left as part of his legacy. The digitized photographs from the Andrew Taylor fonds document Taylor's time in northern Manitoba as a surveyor and engineer.
Bill Lobchuk fonds
William (Bill) Lobchuk was born in Neepawa, Manitoba and is a very accomplished artist. He received his Diploma of Art at the University of Manitoba and has played an active role in the arts community for over 30 years. He has received several awards and has been commissioned by numerous organizations. Lobchuk has had his artwork displayed in exhibitions since 1970 at many venues in Canada such as the Winnipeg Art Gallery, Burnaby Art Gallery in Burnaby, British Columbia, the Susan Whitney Gallery in Regina, Saskatchewan as well as internationally in Yugoslavia, Japan, and Holland. Lobchuk’s artwork can be found in personal and corporate collections throughout Canada and the world. The digitized material from the Bill Lobchuk fonds consists of negatives and glass slides of various Ukrainian-Canadian families taken at the early part of the twentieth century.
Centre for Settlement Studies fonds
At a meeting in 1966, a group representing several departments of the University of Manitoba expressed a common interest in an interdisciplinary approach to the problems associated with human settlement. Their concern focused primarily on the communities of western and northern Canada. A request for funding, presented to the Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation, was favourably received resulting in the formation of the Centre for Settlement Studies in 1967 with John E. Page as first Director. Believing that the social and economic problems associated with human settlement might be a limiting factor in the settlement of Canada's northern communities, Page made this topic the first major focus of research. By 1974, the Centre had reached its peak of activity. The Centre for Settlement Studies ceased to function on June 30, 1976, although research projects continued to be published well into 1977. The digital collection includes the Centre's Source Files including drafts of publications, papers and presentations, partially completed projects, analyses, and related data.
Copland, Hunter and Anderson Family fonds
Margaret Elizabeth Hunter, born 18 April 1849, and William Adam Hunter, born 17 June 1845, married in Dumfrese, Scotland, on 22 December 1870. A year later they emigrated to Canada, settling first in Cayuga, Ontario. In 1883 Margaret's brother, Thomas Copland, encouraged them to move west with the Saskatoon Temperance Colonization Society and they built a home at Llewellyn. Margaret and William had 7 children; their two oldest daughters, Mary Kerr Hunter and Barbara Elizabeth Hunter, married brothers from the Anderson family – Burpee James Anderson and Newton Joseph Anderson, respectively. Margaret's brother, Thomas Copland, was one of the first settlers in Saskatoon, and was trained as a chemist and druggist. The University of Saskatchewan is located on his original homestead. The digitized material from the Copland, Hunter and Anderson Family fonds consists of documents that describe the lives of the Copland, Hunter and Anderson families, notably their early years following Margaret and William Hunter's move to Canada and years in Saskatoon. It includes materials relating to events such as the 1885 Resistance; later material documenting student life, at the University, as well as materials documenting the daily life of a pioneering farm family. Included are diaries of Barbara Elizabeth Anderson, nee Hunter (1874-1951) documenting her daily life, 1899-1934 and 1944; memoirs of Mrs. Barbara E. Anderson (covering 1874-1905); and background material.
Denise Catherine Kolesar fonds
Denise Kolesar, a native of Neepawa, Manitoba, with family ties to the Polonia and Mountain Road areas, became interested in the life and works of Fr. Philip Ruh during research efforts for the 2004 Ukrainian Catholic Church Hundredth Anniversary Committee in Mountain Road, Manitoba. In October 2007, Kolesar conducted a research tour of churches in Saskatchewan and Alberta where she took digital photographs of churches. This digital collection consists of several digital photographs of the interiors and exteriors of Ukrainian Catholic churches in Saskatchewan and Alberta.
Emil and Lynette Hain fonds
The Emil and Lynette Hain fonds consists of a collection of glass slides created by Ms. Hain's grandfather, Rev. Thomas Featherstone Watson, who documented the missionary work being undertaken in the Transvaal region of South Africa prior to the onset of the Boer War in 1899. Rev. Watson created glass slides from his original negatives and used them as the basis of his lecture tour titled "Missionary Labours in the Transvaal Before the War: Glimpses of Missionary Life in the Transvaal." The scenes depicted in this digital collection include the South African people, culture and countryside, churches, church services, European and South African ministers, and other glimpses into missionary life in South Africa. The rare and fascinating images in this collection provide some insight into the controversial practice of missionary work in a little-seen region of the world just prior to the outbreak of a violent war only a few years later.
G.W. Simpson fonds
George Wilfred Simpson's teaching career at the University of Saskatchewan started in 1922, with an appointment as instructor in History. By 1928 he had been promoted to full professor, and, in 1940, Simpson was appointed head of the History Department, a position he held until his retirement in 1958. Upon retirement, Simpson was named Professor Emeritus. During his career at the University of Saskatchewan, Simpson helped initiate the department of Slavic studies, was the first Canadian historian to learn Ukrainian, and edited the first history of the Ukraine published in English. He helped shape the policy of the Saskatchewan Archives Act and was the first Provincial Archivist (1945-1948). The digitized material from the G.W. Simpson fonds consists of files entitled “Ukrainian files” regarding the Ukrainian community in Saskatoon and University of Saskatchewan, 1930-1957; and material relating to Simpson’s association with the Advisory Committee on Co-operation in Canadian Citizenship (Nationalities Branch), 1941-1960.
Gallery One One One
Gallery One One One was established in 1965 to serve the School of Art and the public, showing and collecting contemporary and historical art. It now exists as the School of Art Gallery and is currently located in the ArtLab.
George Swinton fonds
George Swinton was a reknowned authority on Inuit art and the author of numerous articles on the subject. His own art hangs in the National Gallery of Canada, the Vancouver Art Gallery, and the Winnipeg Art Gallery. He studied Economics and Political Science in Vienna from 1936 to 1938 before coming to Canada in 1939. He served five years with the Canadian Intelligence Corps in the Canadian Army, becoming a Canadian citizen in 1944. He completed a Bachelor of Arts at McGill in 1946 and took courses at the Montreal School of Art and Design from 1946 to 1947 and the Art Students' League of New York from 1949 to 1950. Swinton was the Curator of the Saskatoon Art Centre from 1947 to 1949. He was an instructor at Smith College from 1950 to 1953 and Artist-in-Residence at Queen's University from 1953 to 1954. That fall, he joined the faculty of the School of Art at the University of Manitoba, a position that he held for twenty years. From 1974 to 1981, he was a professor of Canadian Studies at Carleton University. His final academic position was an adjunct professorship in the Department of Art History at Carleton University from 1981 to 1985.
George Swinton fonds (WAG)
George Swinton was a reknowned authority on Inuit art and the author of numerous articles on the subject. His own art hangs in the National Gallery of Canada, the Vancouver Art Gallery, and the Winnipeg Art Gallery. He studied Economics and Political Science in Vienna from 1936 to 1938 before coming to Canada in 1939. He served five years with the Canadian Intelligence Corps in the Canadian Army, becoming a Canadian citizen in 1944. He completed a Bachelor of Arts at McGill in 1946 and took courses at the Montreal School of Art and Design from 1946 to 1947 and the Art Students' League of New York from 1949 to 1950. Swinton was the Curator of the Saskatoon Art Centre from 1947 to 1949. He was an instructor at Smith College from 1950 to 1953 and Artist-in-Residence at Queen's University from 1953 to 1954. That fall, he joined the faculty of the School of Art at the University of Manitoba, a position that he held for twenty years. From 1974 to 1981, he was a professor of Canadian Studies at Carleton University. His final academic position was an adjunct professorship in the Department of Art History at Carleton University from 1981 to 1985. This digital collection includes material from the Winnipeg Art Gallery Archives as part of the Prairie Prestige project.
Gloria Romaniuk fonds
Gloria Romaniuk moved with her husband, Greg Stanwick, to Cook’s Creek, Manitoba in 1976, to operate Cook’s Creek General Store. Romaniuk grew interested in the life and works of Rev. Philip Ruh, OMI in 1982 and in 1983 she launched and coordinated the “Ruh Project”, an effort to document Ruh’s life and works. Together with Olly Charney, Romaniuk located materials which had been created by, or belonged to Ruh and produced more than seventy audio interviews with individuals who knew or worked with Ruh. She wrote a local history pamphlet for Cook’s Creek church, edited the translation into English of Ruh’s autobiography "Missionary and Architect (Autobiography)", and wrote several newspaper and magazine articles. She has served as the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg Archivist since 2003. The digitized material from the Gloria Romaniuk fonds consists of several digital photographs and printed photographs of the interiors and exteriors of several Ukrainian Catholic churches and church facilities throughout western Canada.
Hilda Morrish fonds
Hilda Morrish grew up in Hove, England and joined the Women's Royal Naval Service in 1940. Morrish's parents were pacifists and disapproved of her joining the WRNS. Their disapproval led to her request for a transfer to civilian work assisting tha arriving United States Army in Gloucester, Cheltenham. Morrish was later in Paris on VE Day and toured France and Germany immediately following the war. The digitized material on this site includes images of black and white photographs taken by Hilda Morrish with a Voigtlander 35 mm camera. The photographs were developed and printed in a makeshift photo lab in a hotel bathroom. A bidet was used to wash the prints and an enlarger to magnify the images.
Irene Knysh fonds
Irene Knysh was a feminist, journalist, and author of many books on the Ukrainian women’s movement. Throughout the course of her illustrious writing career, Knysh corresponded with leaders of the Ukrainian women's movement in Canada and the United States, most notably Stefaniia Abrahamovs'ka, one of the founding members of the Ukrainian National Women's League of America. Knysh also corresponded with famed Ukrainian dance instructor, Vasil' Avramenko. This digital collection features items from the Irene Knysh fonds, many of which were acquired by Knysh during the course of her research. Items featured in the collection include the original record book of the Ukrainian Women's Association of Canada (1930-1931) and photographs of Irene Knysh, Stefaniia Abrahamovs'ka, members of the National Women's League of America (SUA - Soiuz Ukrainok Ameryky), and Vasil' Avramenko.
Jaropolk Radkewycz fonds
In 1961, with the intention of entering the priesthood, Jaropolk Radkewycz began his studies at the Redemptorist Minor Seminary in Roblin, Manitoba. In 1967, he decided to begin studies for the diocesan priesthood, pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Manitoba in 1971, followed by a Bachelor of Theology degree in 1974 and a Bachelor degree in Canon Law in 1975 at the University of St. Paul in Ottawa. He was ordained by Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk in Winnipeg in 1974. Radkewycz served in parishes in Winnipeg, Portage la Prairie and Brandon. In addition, he served as chaplain of St. Paul College at the University of Manitoba, as lecturer at the St. Boniface School of Nursing, as chairman of the Manitoba Medico-Moral Committee, and chaplain of the Catholic Physicians Guild in Manitoba. He served as assistant vicar general from May 1975, and as the Metropolitan’s secretary until the time of his accidental death on April 29, 1996. The digitized material from the Jaropolk Radkewycz fonds consists of nearly 80 photographs of the interiors and exteriors of several Ukrainian Catholic churches and church facilities throughout western Canada.
Jill Oakes fonds
Jill Oakes received a Bachelor of Human Ecology (1975), an Education Certificate (1976), a Master's of Science (1985) and a Ph.D (1988) from the University of Manitoba. Oakes began lecturing at the University of Manitoba in 1987 and has also lectured as an adjunct professor in the Departments of Anthropology and Human Ecology at the University of Alberta. She has served as research associate for the Canadian Circumpolar Institute at the University of Alberta and from 1993-1994, was Chair of Northern Studies, Department of Native Studies at Trent University. Oakes' work with museum collections has taken her on collecting trips to Greenland, Northwest Territories, Alaska, and the far east of Russia. Oakes has researched, coordinated and curated many exhibitions. Featured here are records documenting Oakes' research and involvement with the Minnguq Sewing Group.
John Leslie Charles fonds
Major John Leslie Charles was a Chief Engineer for Candian National Railway's (CN) Western Region and consulting engineer for CN. He later became responsible for much of the engineering and construction in western Canada, northern Manitoba, and the Northwest Territories. In 1926, he was appointed as a transit man for a survey crew and surveyed the second section of the Hudson Bay Railway (Limestone- Fort Churchill). He also published studies of the Great Slave Lake Railway, the first railway to enter the Northwest Territories and the most northerly railway connected to the continental system. The collection includes articles, reports and maps created by Charles regarding Northern Canadian railway routes.
Kenneth Hayes Collection (North-West Resistance)
The Kenneth Hayes fonds, donated to the Archives and Special Collections in 1998, consists of eighteen black and white photographs of which fifteen are originals (taken between 1869 and 1890) and three are photographs of photographs. These photographs depict participants in the North-West Resistance, including Gabriel Dumont and Louis Riel. The fonds also contains four photographic negatives of death certificates, including that of Louis Riel; a telegram; and a letter pertaining to said telegram. Note that this collection was previously called Kenneth Hayes Collection (North-West Rebellion).
Landmarks, Monuments & Built Heritage of the West
A major component of community life is the landmarks, monuments and built heritage within that community. Canadian historians have often claimed that the physical and geographical heritage of Canadians have played a key role in the development of our identity as a nation. Western Canadians, in particular, have been molded by their landscapes and architecture. From sod huts to towering skyscrapers, the built heritage of western Canadian communities has influenced the development of the region and the people. This website consists of nearly 7000 digitized items from the archival holdings of the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg Archives, the Archives of Manitoba, and the University of Calgary's Canadian Architectural Archives pertaining to this topic. The digitized textual documents, photographs, blueprints, and audio and video clips illustrate how western Canada has been shaped by its architecture.
Logan Family fonds
Margaret Frances Logan graduated from Manitoba College in 1900 with a B.A. in Philosophy and received her M.A. in Philosophy in 1904. Never married, she taught at various schools in Saskatchewan (Conquest, Gull Lake, Swift Current) until she retired to her hometown of Lauder, Manitoba. She died in 1974 at the age of 98. The journal was written by Logan as she attended the Singoosh Summer School for Teachers in 1942. This school was affiliated with the University of Manitoba and was located on Singush Lake in Duck Mountain Provincial Park. This journal was donated by Logan’s great-niece, Pat Greenways in 2018.
Louis Riel Letter to Pierre Lavallee
The Louis Riel Letter to Pierre Lavallee collection consists of a letter written by Louis Riel in 1883 to his friend Pierre Lavallee, the Court Clerk of Marquette-East and the Clerk and Treasurer of the municipality of St. Francois Xavier. The letter discusses the Riel's thoughts on the relationship between the Metis and French Canadians.
Mabel Timlin fonds
Mabel Timlin began lecturing in Economics at the University of Saskatchewan in 1935. She was promoted to full professor in 1950, and retired in 1959. Timlin was an authority on Keynesian economic theory, monetary policy and immigration. Among her many publications were Keynesian Economics (1942) and “Does Canada Need More People?” (1951). Following her retirement, the Canada Council granted her a special Fellowship to study Canadian immigration. Later, she was appointed research assistant with the Social Science Research Council of Canada and co-authored The Social Sciences in Canada: Two Studies (1968). She was a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, first woman president of the Canadian Political Science Association, and a member of the Order of Canada. The digitized material from the Mabel Timlin fonds consists of records related to Canadian immigration laws, as well subject files pertaining to the politics of immigration. The records include research notes, essays on immigration, photocopies and microfilms of some of the Laurier papers, etc., along with a manuscript copy of Does Canada Need More People?
Marketa Newman fonds
Marketa Newman was born in Prague, Czechoslovakia in 1918. She married Arthur ("Bobek") Neumann (later changed to Newman), and had two children, Karel (changed to Charles or Chuck) and Eva. She and her family were taken to the "model concentration camp", Terezin, in 1942. The family emigrated to Canada in 1949, first staying in Toronto, and settled in Saskatoon in September 1949. She received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1962 and a Bachelor of Library Science degree from the University of Toronto in 1964. From 1964 until her retirement in 1985 she worked for the University of Saskatchewan Library in the cataloging, acquisitions, and collection development departments. She was the author of Biographical Dictionary of Saskatchewan Artists - Women Artists and Biographical Dictionary of Saskatchewan Artists - Men Artists. In 1997, largely in recognition of the dictionaries, she received an honorary degree from University of Saskatchewan. The digitized material from the Marketa Newman fonds consists of files relating to immigration to Canada from Czechoslovakia - correspondence and telegrams, including with Nathan Phillips, regarding an Order-in-Council; and subsequent letters to family regarding the immigration experience.
Monique Hébert fonds
En 1981, Monique Hébert compléta un Baccalauréat es arts à l’Université du Québec à Montréal. Elle compléta en 1987 une maîtrise es arts à l’Université du Manitoba. En 1994 elle recevait son doctorat en histoire de l’Université du Manitoba ayant complété sa thèse sur la contribution des Franco-manitobaines à la survie de la communauté de 1916 à 1947. Dès 1982, elle commençait une carrière dans l’enseignement au Manitoba, d’abord aux niveaux secondaire et pré-secondaire au Collège Saint-Jean-Baptiste et au Selkirk Junior High (1982 à 1990) puis de 1994 à 1995 au secondaire et pré-secondaire de l'École communautaire Aurèle-Lemoine. Pendant ce temps elle a été active au sein de nombreux organisme et a, entre autres, été présidente du Réseau national action éducation femmes, présidente des Éducatrices et éducateurs francophones du Manitoba (1990 à 1992), et membre de Pluri-Elles, Réseau, du Manitoba Teacher’s Society, de l’Institut de recherches et études féministes et du Women’s Historians and History of Women in Manitoba. Elle enseigna aussi à l’Université d’Ottawa et à l’Université du Québec à Hull. Elle est décédée en 1999. Au cours de sa carrière elle a administré deux projets d’histoire orale, soit un avec la Ville de Beloeil (Québec) et l’autre avec la Société historique de Saint-Boniface sur le rôle des Franco-manitobaines dans la survie de la communauté. Son fonds comprend des documents produits au cours de ses recherches portant sur les Franco-protestants du Québec et sur les femmes franco-manitobaines (1976-1998). Ses recherches sur les femmes franco-manitobaines ont servi à rédiger sa thèse pour remplir les exigences en vue de l’obtention d’un doctorat de l’Université du Manitoba. Les documents ainsi produits comprennent des notes de recherche, des photocopies de documents des archives de l’Association d’éducation des Canadiens-Français du Manitoba (dont des copies des rapports de visiteur et de la correspondance); de la correspondance au sujet de la thèse (avec sa directrice); des compilations de données; d’autres documents de recherche (en large partie des photocopies d’articles) et des cassettes sonores d’entrevues avec des femmes franco-manitobaines (y compris des sommaires et les ententes de dépôt et d’accès). (57 cm et 3 cartes) On y trouve donc 43 cassettes sonores fruit d’un projet d’histoire orale sous l’égide de la Société historique de Saint-Boniface. Des sommaires détaillés des entrevues les accompagnent.
Ogilvie Flour Mills fonds
In 1811, Alexander Ogilvie joined his uncle John Watson in Montreal and added his millstones to his uncle's mill. In 1872, a mill was built at Seaforth, Ontario, and two years later another at Goderich. In 1895, the Ogilvie company acquired an oatmeal mill in Winnipeg. In May 1902, the executors of the Ogilvie estate sold the flour mills and seventy elevators to a Canadian-owned syndicate and formed the Ogilvie Flour Mills Co. Ltd. From 1912 to 1939, Ogilvie Flour Company were purveyors of flour to King George V, which indicated Ogilvie flour had been adopted by the royal household. In 1949, Gerber-Ogilvie Baby Foods Ltd. was formed and Ault Milk Products was purchased. In 1957, Ogilvie sold their fifty percent share of Gerber-Ogilvie Baby Foods Ltd. to Gerber, and in the same year Ogilvie-Five Roses Sales Ltd. was consolidated. Ogilvie bought control of Catelli stock in 1960. Between 1966 and 1996 Ogilvie Mills sold, purchased, and amalgamated with many companies including General Bakeries Ltd., Beatrice Foods Inc., Delmar Chemicals, Laura Secord Candy Shops Ltd., Catelli-Habitant Inc., and Gourmet Baker Inc. In 1968, Ogilvie became a subsidiary of John Labbatt Ltd.. In 1993-1994, Archer Daniels-Midland Co. purchased Ogilvie Mills from John Labbatt Ltd. At the time, the annual sales had reached $275 million. The digitized material from the Ogilvie Flour Mills fonds consists of over 300 photographs of Ogilvie mills throughout western Canada, as well as an outline of the early mill history of the organization.
Parks Canada fonds
Located less than an hour away from Edmonton, Alberta, Elk Island National Park protects the wilderness of the aspen parkland, one of the most endangered habitats in Canada. This beautiful oasis is home to herds of free roaming plains bison, wood bison, moose, deer, and elk. Also boasting over 250 species of birds, the park is ideal for bird watchers. Other recreational activities within the park are wildlife viewing, hiking, cross-country skiing, picnicking and overnight camping. The digitized material from the Parks Canada fonds consists of photographs of Ukrainian pioneers who settled near the Elk Island National Park in Alberta.
Philip Ruh fonds
Philip Roux was born August 6, 1883 in Alsace-Lorraine, France. In 1898, Philip entered studies with the Oblate Fathers in Valkenburg, Holland. In 1905 he began his studies at St. Boniface Monastery in Hünfeld, Germany, where he was ordained into the order in 1910. Assigned to serve the Ukrainian Catholics in Canada, he first studied in Ukraine, learning the language, the customs, and the Byzantine rite. He served pioneer communities in north-eastern Alberta from 1913 to 1923, where he began to build churches, despite no formal architectural training. In 1924 he was assigned to ministry in Manitoba. The parish of Cook’s Creek was his home base from 1930 until his death on October 24, 1962. In 1941 he was elevated to the status of Canon. His dedication to the the Shrine of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Lourdes, France inspired the Lourdes Calvary-Grotto in Cook’s Creek, the last of more than forty construction projects, designed or built by Ruh. The Grotto was unfinished at the time of his death. Several Ruh structures have been designated as historic sites. The digitized material from the Philip Ruh fonds consists of 15 blueprints created by Father Philip Ruh featuring his designs for Ukrainian Catholic churches, as well as nearly 200 photographs of the interiors and exteriors of Ukrainian Catholic churches and church facilities, many of which were designed and constructed by Father Ruh.
Prairie Immigration Experience
The Prairie Immigration Experience is a collection of nearly 15,000 digitized archival documents, including diaries, correspondence, photographs, and audio and video recordings from the holdings of the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections and the University of Saskatchewan Archives. These archival records detail the experiences of the hundreds of thousands of immigrants of varied nationalities and ethnicities, who came to Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta in search of a better way of life. The records detail the full immigration experience, from their arrival in Canada, to the hardships they faced settling in a new country, to the lasting effects immigration has had on Canadian society and culture.
Prairie Prestige: How Western Canadian Artists Have Influenced Canadian Art
The Prairie Prestige digital collection will demonstrate how western Canadian artists influenced artists throughout Canada and around the world. It will demonstrate how western Canadian artists have been instrumental in shaping Canada's sterling reputation as a world leader and innovator in art and culture. Prairie Prestige: How Western Canadian Artists Have Influenced Canadian Art features digitized archival material from the fonds of several prominent western Canadian artists, namely Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald, George Swinton, Arnold O. Brigden, Elizabeth Maude MacVicar, Bertram Brooker, Leo Mol, and Angus Shortt. In addition, the religious work of several Ukrainian-Canadian artists is also showcased. Digitized photographs, correspondence, diaries, catalogues, sketches, drawings, and audio clips from the archival holdings of these individuals demonstrate the quality of their work and their relevance to the national art scene. Canadian art is a key component to the cultural mosaic in which we live and the archival records of the artists included in this digital collection vividly emphasize this point. The records have been digitized from the holdings of the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections, the Winnipeg Art Gallery Archives, and the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg Archives.
Rare books collection
Rare books and various other printed or manuscript materials covering a wide variety of areas are held in Archives & Special Collections. The collection numbers approximately 30,000 volumes and is constantly expanding. Included in the collection are the Dysart Memorial Collection of Rare Books & Manuscripts, the St. John's College Rare Book Collection, and the Slavic Rare Book Collection. Further subject strengths of the Rare Book Collection are in Canadiana, particularly in Canadian Prairie literature, social history, immigration, agricultural development of western Canada, and early Arctic exploration; early native language syllabics; church history and philosophy; bibles (including the 1611 King James Bible); and English literature.
Roman Yereniuk fonds
Roman Yereniuk is an associate professor of St. Andrew’s College and a sessional lecturer in the Centre for Ukrainian Canadian Studies at the University of Manitoba. He teaches courses in Church history of Eastern Christianity and the experience of the Ukrainian Canadians. In addition, he is a school trustee with the Winnipeg School Division. As a creative writer and a storyteller in the Ukrainian Canadian community, Yereniuk has a passion for telling stories about Ukraine, Ukrainian Canadians, and multiculturalism. The digitized material from the Roman Yereniuk fonds consists of film reels of a 1935 rally in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan of the Canadian Ukrainian Youth Association (CYMK). They offer individual and group footage of young Ukrainians from the western region as well as scenes of the prairie city in the mid-thirties. There are some striking frames of the delegates participating in mass calisthenics.
Sandra Barz fonds
Sandra Barz completed her education at Skidmore College graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in 1952. She began her career in publishing and later became interested in Inuit art after purchasing a few pieces while visiting Canada. Thereafter she began to research and compile information relating to Inuit prints from Arctic Quebec/Puvirnituq, Baker Lake, Cape Dorset, Clyde River, Holman Island, and Pangnirtung. Her first exploration in this field involved developing, editing, and publishing 28 issues of Arts and Culture of the North from 1976 to 1984. She followed this work with a series of three volumes titled Inuit Artists Print Workbook, Volumes I, II, and III. The volumes catalogue over 8,000 Inuit print images dating from 1957 to the present, produced in the aforementioned communities, as well as prints produced independently of the Arctic co-operative system. Barz's papers detail over forty years of dedication to documenting Inuit artist biographies, the evolution of printmaking, and encouraging growing interest for Inuit art worldwide.
Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate fonds
The Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate are an international congregation of Sisters of the Ukrainian Catholic Church (in union with Rome). Founded over a hundred years ago in Western Ukraine, they strive to follow the example of their patroness Mary, the Immaculate Mother of God. They are committed to a communal life of prayer and service of God's people, primarily but not exclusively, those of the Ukrainian Catholic Church. In Canada they have been extensively involved in the educational apostolate from nursery school to the University levels. They have conducted residential and day high schools for young women, including Immaculate Heart Academy and Immaculate Heart School in Winnipeg. At present Sisters teach at Immaculate Heart of Mary School in Winnipeg. Sisters have also organized and directed the Religious Education Centre in the Archeparchy of Winnipeg. The digitized material from the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate (SSMI) fonds consists of 200 digitized photographs of the Sisters engaged in educational endeavours in Manitoba. The photographs were originally part of the Chronicles created by the SSMI. The Chronicles detail the activities conducted by the SSMI for the Ukrainian Catholic Religious Education Centre from 1977 to 2003.
Sterling Demchinsky fonds
Sterling Demchinsky is an amateur photographer, a Canadian of Ukrainian descent, born in Flin Flon, Manitoba in 1957. He moved to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in 1975 for university, later departing for Ottawa to work as a technical writer for the Federal Government of Canada. Two decades later, he began to photograph Ukrainian churches, in particular churches of historic interest in forgotten corners of Ukrainian settlement on the Prairies and in British Columbia. With each successive year since the inception of the project, Demchinsky has continued his efforts, methodically recording historic and modern churches in select geographic locations. In addition, he has studied iconography, and has created a website to showcase in photo and in text, the results of his efforts.
Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg fonds
The Archeparchy of Winnipeg is the Metropolitan See of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in Canada. It is led by the Metropolitan Archbishop of Winnipeg, Lawrence D. Huculak, OSBM. The Canadian Metropolia of the Ukrainian Catholic Church is comprised of this Archeparchy and its suffragan eparchies: New Westminster (British Columbia and the territory north), Edmonton (Alberta and the territory north), Saskatoon (Saskatchewan and the territory north), and Toronto and Eastern Canada (Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic Canada and the territory north). The archeparchy itself covers Manitoba and the territory north thereof. As of 2007, the archeparchy has 29,000 Catholics in 130 parishes, served by 29 eparchial priests, 11 monastic priests, 13 deacons, and 17 Women Religious. The digitized material from the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg fonds consists of an article written by Gloria Romaniuk, Archivst for the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg Archives, which tells the story of how a stone from Lourdes, France came to be installed in the Cook’s Creek Grotto, in Manitoba, and a 9:50 minute colour, silent DVD, entitled Building of St. Josaphat Cathedral, produced by the Basilian Fathers in Edmonton, Alberta, between 1939 to 1944.
United Grain Growers Ltd. fonds
The precursor to the United Grain Growers was formed in 1901 in Indian Head, Saskatchewan, by a group of farmers who came together to discuss common problems related to grain farming. The "Grain Growers" concept spread quickly to Alberta and Manitoba and in 1917 the movement amalgamated its commercial interests in the three Prairie Provinces to form United Grain Growers Ltd. The infrastructure of the company included grain elevators, terminals, and a farm supply network. UGG bought or built an extensive series of country elevators across the West from 1912 to the 1960s. Grain terminal facilities were also constructed and included facilities at Thunder Bay, New Westminister and Vancouver. Through their elevator system the UGG sold supplies such as coal, twine, chemicals and fertilizer to their farm customers. On November 1, 2001, it merged with Agricore (formed by the consolidation of the Manitoba and Alberta Wheat Pools) to form a new company, Agricore United. In 2007, Agricore United merged with Saskatchewan Wheat Pool to form Viterra. The digitized material from the United Grain Growers fonds consists of nearly 1800 pages of histories pertaining to the United Grain Growers grain elevators in towns throughout Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
W.C. Murray fonds
Walter Charles Murray started his academic career at the University of New Brunswick, receiving a BA in 1886. After earning a grammar school license at the provincial Normal School, Murray went to University of Edinburgh and received a MA in philosophy in 1891. After a brief period of study in Berlin, Murray returned to UNB as Professor of Philosophy and Economics. From 1892 to 1908, he was Munro Professor of Philosophy and lecturer in Education at Dalhousie University. In 1908 he was appointed the University of Saskatchewan's first President, a position he held until his retirement in 1937. In conjunction with his duties at the University of Saskatchewan, Murray served on a number of commissions, boards and councils. Upon his retirement he was named President Emeritus and remained active in the local community until his death in March 1945. The digitized material from the W.C. Murray fonds consists of correspondence, notes, reports, photos, maps, evidence and lists pertaining to Dr. Murray's activities on three royal commissions and as a judge of the Community Progress Competitions. These Competitions were conceived by the Colonization Department of the C.N.R. to ascertain what contributions people of Continental European origin had made to community life in certain districts, and to what extent they stimulated further community progress and development. The records contain the assessments of the judges on community life on the districts that entered the competition.

Pages