Alice Cameron Brown fonds
Alice Cameron Brown was born in Rolling River, Manitoba in 1898 and grew up near Minnedosa, Manitoba. She was the daughter of Sarah and Duncan Cameron. In 1921, Alice graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Manitoba. While working as a teacher in Tisdale, Saskatchewan in 1922, she met James Edward Brown. The couple and their daughter Elizabeth Allison lived in Tisdale for twenty-six years. In 1934, Brown won first prize in the Canadian Author's Association poetry contest. The winning poem was published in a few magazines, after which numerous poems of hers were published. In 1952, the Brown family moved to Beamsville, Ontario where James passed away in 1965. Alice Cameron Brown died in 1993. The digitized material from the Alice Cameron Brown fonds consists of correspondence pertaining to Brown's teaching career.
Brian Macpherson fonds
The Brian Macpherson fonds consists of one wood scrapbook started by the University of Manitoba chapter of the Tau Kappa Epsilon when the fraternity was founded in 1958 to chronicle fraternity events. The unique wooden design was created by a member who was good at woodworking and was intended to be both visually distinct and allow additional pages to be added easily. The use of the scrapbook to keep track of TKE events gradually diminished in the early 1960s.
Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Winnipeg Chapter fonds
The Canadian Friends of the Hebrew University is a national, non-profit organization that develops and promotes awareness of, leadership in, and financial support for the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. The Winnipeg Chapter was founded in 1948.
Doris Saunders fonds
Doris Saunders was born in Winnipeg in 1901. In 1917 she graduated from Kelvin High School and then enrolled at the University of Manitoba, where in 1921 she graduated with Gold Medals in both Philosophy and English. Upon graduation, she taught at a rural elementary school before heading to Oxford. After graduating from Oxford with a Diploma of Education in 1923 she taught at both Machray Junior High and Kelvin High School. In 1925, while still teaching, she completed a MA at the University of Manitoba. In 1928, Saunders became the first female appointed to the Department of English at the University of Manitoba and in 1959 became the first female full Professor in the Faculty of Arts. From 1933 to 1945 she was the Dean of Junior Women and was the Registrar of University College from 1964 to 1968, when she retired. Doris Saunders passed away in 2001. The digitized material from the Doris Saunders fonds consists of copies of an address Saunders gave titled "Continuing Education for Women in Canada."
Faculty of Nursing fonds
The first nursing course at the University of Manitoba was offered in 1944, the result of a Government of Canada grant to the Canadian Nurses Association for nursing education. Six years later the School of Nursing was established. In 1959 the first degree program in nursing was discussed and three years later the first students were accepted. In 1963 a four year program leading to a Bachelor of Nursing was initiated. The program was revamped in 1975 to study public health and to concentrate on illness prevention. By 1980 a Masters program had been developed, and in 1984 the Manitoba Nursing Research Institute was established at the University of Manitoba. The School of Nursing received faculty status in 1992. The digitized material from the Faculty of Nursing fonds consists of textual records pertaining to seminars on women in the field of nursing.
Helen Glass fonds
Dr. Helen Glass was born in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1917. She received a Bachelor of Nursing degree from Teachers' College, Columbia University in 1960, followed by an M.A., a M.Ed, and finally a Ph.D. of Education in 1971, also from Columbia. She began teaching nursing courses at the University of Manitoba in 1953. Devoted to enhancing the profession of nursing and the quality of medical care, Glass was founder of the Manitoba Nursing Research Institute, President of the Manitoba Association of Registered Nurses, President of the Canadian Nurses Association and first Vice-President of the International Council of Nurses. She served on the Canadian Delegation to the World Health Assembly in 1983 and again in 1985. Dr. Helen Glass retired officially from the School of Nursing in 1986. She is currently Professor Emerita at the University of Manitoba. The digitized material from the Helen Glass fonds consists of textual records pertaining to Glass' education at Columbia Teachers' College, her teaching and administrative work at the University of Manitoba, and her work with professional nursing associations.
Jennifer Shay fonds
Dr. Jennifer Shay (nee Walker) was born in 1930, in Hull, England. Upon graduation from Newland High School in 1948, Dr. Shay attended London University where she obtained a B.Sc. in 1952. She briefly worked at the Flatford Mill Field Centre in Suffolk but moved to Canada in 1957 where she worked as a research associate at the University of Manitoba. At the U of M, Dr. Shay completed a M.Sc. in 1959 and a Doctor of Philosophy in Science in 1964, while lecturing for the Department of Botany. She became a full professor in 1975. In 1966, she was appointed founding director of the Delta Marsh Field Station, a position she held until 1986. In addition, she fulfilled a joint appointment in the Departments of Landscape Architecture and Botany from 1975 to 1986 and again from 1989 to 1993. Although Dr. Shay retired in 1993, she remained a Senior Scholar and was awarded the title Professor Emerita in 1995. The digitized material from the Jennifer Shay fonds consists of annual reports of Shay's teaching activities.
Marie Barton fonds
Marie Barton (nee Rossander) was born in Huntofte, Denmark in 1905. In 1911, she immigrated with her family to Kerrobert, Saskatchewan. She married Leonard Barton in 1928. Overcoming the barriers that existed for married women, Barton taught for four more years to help buy a farm in Davidson, Saskatchewan. The prairie drought of the 1930s drove her and her family from their Davidson farm to a farm at Togo, Saskatchewan and then to Camperville, Manitoba. In 1943, following the death of her husband, Marie returned to teaching to support her four children. In 1955 she graduated from the University of Manitoba with her Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education degrees. Marie taught for several decades in Manitoba, first in country schools in the Dauphin area and then in Winnipeg where she managed the pilot program for Junior High School visually impaired students until her retirement in 1970. Marie Barton passed away in 1999. The digitized material from the Marie Barton fonds consists of textual and photographic records pertaining to Ms. Barton's teaching career, including her work with visually-impaired children.
Mary Kinnear fonds
Dr. E. Mary Kinnear is a professor in the Department of History at the University of Manitoba and is a former head of the department. She has written extensively on women's history with a particular emphasis on women in Manitoba. The digitized material from the Mary Kinnear fonds consists of a series of interviews Dr. Kinnear conducted with female professionals in Manitoba. Several of the interviewees are educators but all discuss their educational backgrounds.
Monique Hébert fonds
En 1981, Monique Hébert compléta un Baccalauréat es arts à l’Université du Québec à Montréal. Elle compléta en 1987 une maîtrise es arts à l’Université du Manitoba. En 1994 elle recevait son doctorat en histoire de l’Université du Manitoba ayant complété sa thèse sur la contribution des Franco-manitobaines à la survie de la communauté de 1916 à 1947. Dès 1982, elle commençait une carrière dans l’enseignement au Manitoba, d’abord aux niveaux secondaire et pré-secondaire au Collège Saint-Jean-Baptiste et au Selkirk Junior High (1982 à 1990) puis de 1994 à 1995 au secondaire et pré-secondaire de l'École communautaire Aurèle-Lemoine. Pendant ce temps elle a été active au sein de nombreux organisme et a, entre autres, été présidente du Réseau national action éducation femmes, présidente des Éducatrices et éducateurs francophones du Manitoba (1990 à 1992), et membre de Pluri-Elles, Réseau, du Manitoba Teacher’s Society, de l’Institut de recherches et études féministes et du Women’s Historians and History of Women in Manitoba. Elle enseigna aussi à l’Université d’Ottawa et à l’Université du Québec à Hull. Elle est décédée en 1999. Au cours de sa carrière elle a administré deux projets d’histoire orale, soit un avec la Ville de Beloeil (Québec) et l’autre avec la Société historique de Saint-Boniface sur le rôle des Franco-manitobaines dans la survie de la communauté. Son fonds comprend des documents produits au cours de ses recherches portant sur les Franco-protestants du Québec et sur les femmes franco-manitobaines (1976-1998). Ses recherches sur les femmes franco-manitobaines ont servi à rédiger sa thèse pour remplir les exigences en vue de l’obtention d’un doctorat de l’Université du Manitoba. Les documents ainsi produits comprennent des notes de recherche, des photocopies de documents des archives de l’Association d’éducation des Canadiens-Français du Manitoba (dont des copies des rapports de visiteur et de la correspondance); de la correspondance au sujet de la thèse (avec sa directrice); des compilations de données; d’autres documents de recherche (en large partie des photocopies d’articles) et des cassettes sonores d’entrevues avec des femmes franco-manitobaines (y compris des sommaires et les ententes de dépôt et d’accès). (57 cm et 3 cartes) On y trouve donc 43 cassettes sonores fruit d’un projet d’histoire orale sous l’égide de la Société historique de Saint-Boniface. Des sommaires détaillés des entrevues les accompagnent.
Prairie Theatre Exchange fonds
The Prairie Theatre Exchange occupies an important place in the cultural and educational life of Winnipeg. In 1958, two of the city's oldest theatrical organizations, Theatre 77 and the Winnipeg Little Theatre, merged to form the Manitoba Theatre Centre (M.T.C.). The M.T.C. set out to provide a better public service through improved professional productions, more new plays, and the development of future artists, which John Hirsch and Tom Hendry were instrumental in developing. In 1960, the M.T.C. formed the Manitoba Theatre School to emphasize its educational mission, but after twelve successful years the School was closed due to lack of funding. In 1973, however, through an effort spearheaded by Colin Jackson and Charles Huband, the Manitoba Theatre Workshop (M.T.W.) was opened as a replacement to the Manitoba Theatre School. The M.T.W. supported creative expression in the community through its school, its outreach program, and its theatre by encouraging local playwrights and performers. In 1981, the organization changed its name to the Prairie Theatre Exchange while reaffirming its original objectives. In December 1988, the Prairie Theatre Exchange realized a major objective when it was approved as a Teaching Centre by the University of Manitoba. In 1989, after realizing long and steady growth, the P.T.E. moved from its original home on 160 Princess Street (the old Grain Exchange Building) into its new $3.5 million facility comprising 42,500 square feet in the Portage Place Mall in downtown Winnipeg. This collection features photographs of past Prairie Theatre Exchange productions and their performers.
Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate fonds
The Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate are an international congregation of Sisters of the Ukrainian Catholic Church (in union with Rome). Founded over a hundred years ago in Western Ukraine, they strive to follow the example of their patroness Mary, the Immaculate Mother of God. They are committed to a communal life of prayer and service of God's people, primarily but not exclusively, those of the Ukrainian Catholic Church. In Canada they have been extensively involved in the educational apostolate from nursery school to the University levels. They have conducted residential and day high schools for young women, including Immaculate Heart Academy and Immaculate Heart School in Winnipeg. At present Sisters teach at Immaculate Heart of Mary School in Winnipeg. Sisters have also organized and directed the Religious Education Centre in the Archeparchy of Winnipeg. The digitized material from the Sister Servants of Mary Immaculate (SSMI) fonds consists of 200 digitized photographs of the Sisters engaged in educational endeavours in Manitoba. The photographs were originally part of the Chronicles created by the SSMI. The Chronicles detail the activities conducted by the SSMI for the Ukrainian Catholic Religious Education Centre from 1977 to 2003.
Spencer Family fonds
Percy Spencer was born in England and came to Canada in the 1880s. He homesteaded in the Russell area, where he and his wife had seven children. One of his daughters, Lucy, became an R.N. in 1931. Her diaries are particularly interesting for what they reveal about women's education and careers in the first part of the twentieth century. Scholars in the fields of Women's Studies and History will find useful information in these diaries. Historians will also find the diaries kept by Percy Spencer himself very useful. He wrote consistently and over a long period of time on the difficulties of homesteading. The digitized material from the Spencer Family fonds consists of diaries and account books of Percy Spencer between 1884 and 1886, which detailed an English immigrant family's homesteading experience in the Russell, Manitoba area. Also included are diaries written by Lucy Spencer, which reflect the status of women's education in the early-1900s, her nursing certificate, and photographs of her graduating class.
Sybil Shack fonds
Sybil Shack was born in Winnipeg on 1 April 1911. She graduated from the University of Manitoba with a B.A. in 1929 and attended Normal School to become a teacher the following year. Due to a lack of teaching positions, she supported herself writing editorials for Weekly News, the Independent Labour Council newspaper, taking general assignments for the Western Jewish News, marking papers or giving private tutorials. She also found placements as a substitute teacher before finally securing a job at Foxwarren, Manitoba. After three years in rural Manitoba she returned to teach in Winnipeg. In 1945 Shack returned to the University of Manitoba and received a M.Ed. degree the following year. Between 1950-1952, she took post-graduate courses at the Ontario College of Education. She was principal of several schools starting with Sargeant Park School in 1948 and retired as the principal of Kelvin High in 1976. For thirty years she was involved in school broadcasts over television and radio with the C.B.C. In 1969 she received an Honorary Doctorate (LLD) from the University of Manitoba. Shack is the author of several books. Shack was an active board member for several organizations and was the recipient of several prestigious awards, including the Order of Canada and Provost of the Buffalo Hunt. Shack died on January 22, 2004. The digitized material from the Sybil Shack fonds includes textual and photographic records pertaining to Shack's teaching career, her CBC educational broadcasts, and her writing and research on women and education. A video of a discussion with Shack and other female educators is also digitized as well as documents pertaining to her Russian immigrant father, correspondence and articles relating to immigrant children, an article on antisemitism, notes on Jewish refugee children from the Second World War, and photographs of her family adapting to life in Canada.