- A photograph of Manitoba Agricultural College student executive, 1918-1919: H. C. Hall, third-year diploma president; William Pecover, first-year president; Margaret Speechly, fifth-year president, class of 1919; J. Harvey Tolton, fifth-year president, class of 1919; Ariel Brown, literary president, class of 1922; Marjorie Duthie, second-year president, class of 1922; Sydney Clark, fourth-year president, class of 1920; Anna Kennedy, fourth-year president, class of 1920; Evelyn Moore, home economics student body president, class of 1919; Arthur Stratton, agriculture student body president, class of 1919; Margaret Reid, third-year president, class of 1921; Barbara Smith, first-year president, class of 1923; E. F. Shannon, third-year degree president; Doris St. Ruth, literary president, class of 1921; F. G. Mowatt, second-year president, class of 1922; and Gladys Henry, athletics president, class of 1919., Luna Collection ID - 109::UMANITOBALCM::NA, Luna Object ID - 434763, Luna Image ID - 153854
Faculty of Agriculture fonds
Manitoba Agricultural College was formerly opened in 1906. In the following year, Manitoba Agricultural College became affiliated with the University of Manitoba so that the degree in agriculture could be conferred on students who had successfully completed the five-year course. However, the affiliation of Manitoba Agricultural College with the University was terminated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature in 1912 when the College was granted degree conferring powers. However, in 1916, the Act was amended and the affiliation between the College and University was restored again. The University of Manitoba conferred the degree Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.S.A) for the first time in May 1911. Regular instruction in Home Economics began the same year and the degree of Bachelor of Home Economics (B.H.E.) was first conferred in May 1918. On March 1, 1924, by Act of the Manitoba Legislature, the administration of Manitoba Agricultural College was transferred to the Board of Governors of the University and it was arranged that in future, the instructional work of the College could be carried on as a Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics of the University. The length of the degree courses in both Agriculture and Home Economics was reduced to four sessions in 1927-1928 to conform with the other university faculties. In 1929, the Legislature selected the site in Fort Garry, already occupied by the Manitoba Agricultural College since 1913, as the permanent site of the university. A systematic program of work in the field of rural adult education was begun in 1940. By 1941, the Faculty consisted of six departments: Animal Science, Bacteriology and Animal Pathology, Dairy Husbandry, Entomology, Plant Science ,and Soils. In 1946, the Department of Agricultural Engineering was added to the faculty. In 1966, the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics opened the Centre for Applied Research at Glenlea, twenty kilometers south of Winnipeg. In 1970, the Faculty of Agriculture and Home Economics separated into two independent faculties, Agriculture and Home Economics. Beginning in 1971, the Faculty of Agriculture, through sponsorship from the provincial government, became involved with various foreign aid programs. This culminated in 1979 when the Canadian International Development Agency (C.I.D.A.) financed a joint agricultural program with the University of Zambia. In July 1991, the Faculty became the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences.