\‘VILLXAM J. CAMERON Born at Pipestone, Manitoba.

in December, 1941, he joined the R.C.A.F., under number R‘147305 and held the rank of LAC. He joined the air force with the idea of being a pilot but his age of 42 years was against him and so he settled down with the transport division. He took his training at, Estevan, Lethbridgc, Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw.

On June 5, 1945, he went to Newfoundland. Asked .if he had any flights he said “Yes, quite often, I used to go up as ballast. The first time I was so successful in that capacity that I was then attached to it permanently, which is a matter of duty."


The only son and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Clayton served during the war. The son Jack, 11-3762 served in the R.C.A.S.C. as Private, enlisting in September, 1940, and was discharged in July, 1945. He was born in Edmonton, Alberta, September 10th, 1915. He trained at Camp Borden and overseas at Aldershot, England. He reached France with his unit landing on the Normandy Beach and was through all the field service until they reached Holland. He returned to England in March, 1945. He arrived back in Canada, June 20, 1945, Jack married while in England and his wife, Doris, preceded him to Canada.

The daughter, Alice, a stenographer at; the outbreak of the war, was unable to join the services but journeyed to Washington, DC, and there she remained from 1942 to 1945, as secretary to a Commander at the Capitol.

The father, Mr. Thomas Clayton is a veteran of the Boer War volunteering in 1.899 as a Yoeman, he served with the medical division attached to the general field hospital which followed the British forces through to February, 1900, ending up at Johannesburg.

Tom, as he is known, was secretary and salesman of the Stony Mountain War Finance Committee from its organization until 1943, when he retired and moved to Victoria, BC. He not only encouraged bond selling but; continually promoted the sales of War Saving Certificates until every child in school bought War Saving Certificates and most adults in the village were regularly purchasing War Saving Certificates.


The two sons, William and Jack and the only daughter Margaret, of Mr. and Mrs. John Coghill, joined the forces. Their son-in-law Flight Sergeant Clarke, was a member of the R.C.AF. permanent force.

Mr. John Coghill, the father, served throughout the First World War with the 1st Canadian Machine Gun Corps and was wounded and dis- charged with the rank of Corporal. Having joined up in 1914 he served with the forces until the end of the war. Mr. Coghill, Sr., was born in Scotland and during his services he met and married a Scottish nurse and brought her to Stony Mountain as a war bride.


Was born in Winnipeg, Man., November let, 1919, and enlisted September 13, 1939, under No. 11—26376 and was discharged August 14, 1945, with the rank of Sergeant Crew Commander. He received all his education in public and high school at Stony Mountain,


Following his enlistment in the Fort Garry Horse he trained in Canada and on November 21, 1941, he arrived at Liverpool at the tail end of the Blitz. His regiment being changed over to an armoured regiment attached to the .1st Canadian Armoured Corps with which he trained in Scotland and the Downs of England.

On D~t)ay he landed at, 8 am. and was with the first armoured corps to land on the beaches. He was in charge of a tank from the time he arrived in England and with a crew of five, one of which was his brother, William, they landed on the Normandy beach. From the time of his landing he lost three tanks, two with misses and one with a direct hit. Asked as to how his tank was hit and the effect ‘he said, “Everybody moved around like a hen without a head.”

As to his wounds he said: “We were all lined up on a hill off Falaise Gap and there was a direct bit." He was wounded on the side of the face, neck and arm. “My brother assisted me to get out but the medical officer was knocked out and I was unable to get any help until evening although I was wounded in the afternoon." This all accurred on August 6, 1944.

To show the type of fighting we were doing we landed in France with approximately 900 tanks and when we reached Falaise Gap there were 190, just enough for one squadron. After recovery he was attached to the Corps which was used for training purposes.


Was born at Winnipeg, October 10, 1921, and joined up August 1, 1940, as a Private with the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, No. H-40890 and was dis— charged from the R.C.A.C. on September 9, 1945, as Corporal Crew Commander.

In Canada he trained at a number of camps and arrived in England September, 1941, with the Rifles, but he was claimed by his brother so both were in the R.C.A.C. (Fort Garry Horse) and served in England, Normandy, Belgium and Germany. He served as a gunner in the tank of his brother and went to the Normandy Beach with him on June 6th. He was with his brother at Falaise Gap when his brother was woundedt and helped to get him out of the tank. He was left in charge of the same throughout the battle but was returned to England as Crew Commander. He returned to his unit as Corporal and was with that Corps right through to the end.

His ambition now is to be the owner of a tourist camp. 1960—He now owns a tourist camp in Ontario.


The only daughter was born in Winnipeg, July 27, 1923. She joined the R.C.AF. tW.D.), her regimental number W~387585 and became L.A.W. She trained in Canada for office work and actually took the place of a soldier that went overseas.

She liked the service well and one of the personnel better. In the service she met F/S Reginald Clarke of the R.C.A.F. permanent force. On a beautiful summer day, to the accompaniment of the bagpipes, played. by an uncle, of the Winnipeg Police Force, she was married in the United Church in Stony Mountain, on June 18, 1943.