In. the early days a group of. outlaws raided a wagon train carrying a Church bell to a mission in Montana. They kept the bell, using it to warn one—another on the approach of the police to their illicit. still at “War-Whoop". Colonel Irvine of the North West Mounted Police finally secured the bell for Christ Church; and to this day it calls the people at Stony Mountain to worship each Sunday.

The past several years have seen many improvements. The interior of the Church Building was completely renovated, re-wired, and decorated. In 1955 an addition, including a fully.— equipped modern kitchen, was built along the whole length of the Parish Hall. In this Anniversary year an oil-heating unit was installed, and proved a great change from the old fashioned wood and coal burning furnace of earlier years.

Through the years Christ Church has been served by many people, too numerous to mention. They served in various cap— acities; as layreaders, clergy and organists; as members of the Ladies Aid, the Woman’s Auxiliary, the Choir or the Vestry; and as Sunday School Teachers and Wardens.

On the register of service from 1906 to date 1960 are 187 different preachers, including clergy, layreaders and students.

Caroline Vincent, Nellie Talbot, Carrie Freeman, and Mel Sharpe, were the first to be confirmed in Christ Church. Each was presented with a Bible by the Student Minister, Mr. H. Crawley.

Archbishop Matheson was the Celebrant.

Florence Smith (daughter of John Smith) and. Mel Sharpe were the first. to be married in Christ Church, and were pre- sented with a family Bible.

Mabel Freeman was the organist from 1907 to 1909.

Sylvia Townley—daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Townley, was the first funeral in the church but was buried in Victoria Cemetery.

Mrs. Dr. Neill and her baby were the first ones buried in the Christ Church Cemetery on lot six.

Among those who assisted at the building of Christ Church were: Mr. and Mrs. Edward Freeman, their daughter Mabel and Eva (afterwards Mrs. Alex Campbell), Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Vincent, Mr. and Mrs. William Townley, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Woods, (Mrs. Woods was formerly Jessie Isbister), Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, Mr. and Mrs. John Douglas, Mr. and Mrs. George Kilgour, Colonel Irvine, Major W. D. Murray (the major was not a military rank but a Christian name), Messrs. Ridley, Talbot, and Slater; the Isbisters and others.



Mr. Freeman came to Stony Mountain as an administrative

officer in the Manitoba Penitentiary. d ' ' he arrive

Edvard Freeman was 1nte1 ested from the day ,’ in the \affairs of the community. He was the first Bectofirs Warden in Christ Church (Anglican) and was a member of the newly organized Masonic Lodge at Stony Mountain.

Edward Freeman was born at Bournemouth, England, 1856, and died August 16th, 1925, and Mrs. Freeman was bow at Doncaster, England, 1857, and died July 18th, 1939.

' ' ' L. A.

There were five children, Frederick, Mabel (Mrs. Robertson), Eva (Mrs. Alexander H. Campbell), Carrie (Mrs. R. B. Forrest), and Edith (Mrs. H. Forsyth).


MARY TAIT VINCENT 1858 1926 ' ' vas born at Middlechurch, his father bei’ng

JohnTI'S/‘(iiicgei’iy $19132: Vforebears were officers in the Hudsons Bay Company. h d t n eh

ied Mar Tait, and t ey move .0 .1 ' homgsltegfgthi/irgtilrlia, wherg they resided until 1887, when they moved to Stony Mountain. .

Twelve children were born to them. Five boys, John, Al— fred Charles, Horace, Wilfred, and seven girls, Florence, Jane, Ethel, Maud, Nora, Caroline and Edith. .

All the family, five boys and seven girls were christened and confirmed in the Anglican Church.


' hich to In 1933 Charles Patrick Ixelpin 'gave one lot on w . build a Roman Catholic Church, which was built and finished in 1935. h 1 A th . The Kelin families, Charles Patrick and C ar es r ur, Mr. and Mrsr.) John McIvor, Mr. and Mrs. Camille Deprez and families, Mr. and Mrs. Basil Vanderckhove and their sons and daughters, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Van Steelant, togethei With others assisted with the building and malntenance of the church. The church was enlarged in 1955.

Rev. J. H. Fitzgerald was the first Priest. in charge.