Andrew McDermott states in his diary that:—

“In 1826 the flood began early in May and by May 14th water came into the upper church (St. Johns). The people removed to Snake Indian Hills (Stony Mountain) where they remained until June 12th.”

Alexander Ross wrote in his history of the Red River.

“As the flood waters widened into a great expanse of water it became certain that it would be some time—maybe several mont.hs—~—before the waters began to go down, and in the absence of any Arrarat on which to rest, the settlers occupied the rock bared elevations, the highest being Stony Mountain eighty feet above the plain, and also Middle Bluff (Lilyfield) little Stony Mountain and Bird’s Hill on the east of the River.

The population of the Red River Settlement at the time of the flood in 1826 was about 1,500, of which some 600 reached Stony Mountain.

Mr. Cockran states, his. party remained in Upper Church on a platform.

“For three days, they continued there but the floods. still rising, and the wind becoming so strong as to threaten the safety of their fragile retreat, they determined to follow the example of their neighbors. With some difficulty they procured boats and taking with them as many small articles as they could, they rowed over fields and plains, to the Snake Indian Hills. Here they pitched their tents, and here they remained a month in anxious suspense, watching the continual rising, and at length the subsidy of the waters, with feelings of alternate fear and hope, sorrow and thankful joy until the 12th of June.”

“It was a month of much bodily as well as mental suffering. The weather was inclement, and the cold severe, the encamp- ment consisted of 130 tents, beside many wigwams, the want of furniture and other conveniences caused great discomfort, while the state of Mrs. Cockran’s health made every privation to be doubly felt.

“On one occasion a violent hurricane arose, suddenly, in the middle of the night and blew down many of the tents, and all the wigwams, the scene was of indescribable confusion, and in the midst of it, their alarm was brought up to the highest pitch, by a spark from one of the tents having set on fire the long grass, with which they were surrounded. The flames ran swiftly along the ground, and destruction seemed inevitable; but God in his mercy preserved them.

A torrent of rain was sent which extinguished the fire; the wind lulled, and all further danger averted.”

On June 12th, 1826, the settlers returned to their homes.



3" 1852

Stony Mountain again, was the refuge of the victims of the flood of the Red River in 1852.

Bishop Anderson in his notes on the flood of 1852 on May 8th, 1852.

“The greater portion of those in church in the morning have now moved out, and have gone in a long llne of carts to the Mountain with their cattle."

On May 3rd the river commenced to rise, and then over- flowed its banks. Miss Bannerman in the “Women of the Red River”—

“My father did a large business with his York Boats. 1n the great flood (1852) he used several of them to move his famlly, and as many of his belongings as pOSSIble to the high land toward Stony Mountain.

“Our horses and cattle and sheep and pigs and poultry were all taken out to the bluffs about ten miles back. That was the

first time I ever saw pigs swimming. We lived in a large tent made of_ buffalo skin until the flood went down and we could

go back home.”