Was horn at Stony Mountain on April 21, 1926, and enlisted January 4, 191/1, with the Cl Corps, under No, 11-22445, lie was discharged October 4, 191111, with the rank of l’rivate.


lle trained at Fort Osborne. Fort Garry and Shilo, Manitoba.


Was horn in Perth, Scotland, on June 18, 1891. He served in two wars, joining the 11th Battalion in September, 1914. He served overseas from February, 1915, to May, 1917, and received his discharge in Sep— tember of 1919, He then became a member of the Manitoba Penitentiary Staff,

110 enlisted for service in the Second War on the 11th of November, 1.9/13. This time he joined the R.C.A.F. under Reg. No. R—287578, and trained at. Brandon, Paulson, N0. 8 RD, Winnipeg in Manitoba, and in Trenton, Ontario. He had no overseas service this time, and was discharged on March 26, 1945, with the rank of Corporal.


Mervyn Gemmill enlisted with the Royal Canadian Artillery in September, 19112, regimental No. 102422, with the rank of Gunner, He received his training at \Vinnipeg, Halifax, and Redford. After his dis- charge he resumed his former employment: with the Manitoba Penitentiary.


Was on the staff of the Manitoba Penitentiary when he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force.


Was on the staff of the Manitoba Penitentiary when he left to join the Royal Canadian Air Force.


Born at Stony Mountain, Manitoba.

Jack joined the Canadian Dental Corps in October, 1940; promoted to Captain in December, 1910, and to Major in December, 1941. He was appointed District. Control Officer, MD. 12, Regina, Sask., on August 11th, 1943.

After receiving his discharge he returned to his former profession, dentistry.

DOUGLAS D. GRANT Was born at, Carman, Manitoba, May 26, 1917. On March 20, 1941, he enlisted with the R.C.A.F. under Regimental

No. R—100099. On March 22, 1945, he was discharged with the rank of Flight Sergeant.

He took his preliminary training at Winnipeg, Manitoba. Toronto, Ontario, and from there to St. Thomas, Ontario.

He arrived in Scotland on November 13, 1941, and was posted to the 402 Canadian Fighter Squadron, the former 112 squadron of Winnipeg. He served in England, Scotland Wales, and arrived back in Canada January 26, 1945.

Douglas has resumed his occupation as a farmer.


SIDNEY HALL (Sn) Was born in England in January, 1893.

Mr. Hall, Sr. served in both wars. In the First World War he enlisted in November, 1914, with the 3rd Dragoon Guards. He served in Egypt, France, Belgium and England, under N0. 6427, rank of Private.

1n the Second World War he joined the \Vinnipeg Rifles in April, 1940, under Regimental No. 32017, and served in Canada and in England.

Mr. Hall held the rank of Corporal. He was wounded in both wars.

SIDNEY R. HALL Was born in England May 22, 1921.

He enlisted: September 13, 1939, with the 19th Battery, 3rd Field Regiment, lst Canadian Division, under Regimental Number 11—5137.

He trained at Edmonton, Alberta, and Winnipeg, Manitoba. He furthered his training at Camp Borden, England, and .Phillipeville, North Africa.

His active service was in England, Sicily, Italy, France, Belgium and Holland.

He returned to Canada and was discharged November 13, 1945, with the rank of Sergeant.


Was born September 30, 1908, in England. 011 October 19, 1942, he joined the C.M.S.C. under number H—2854. He was discharged November 6, 1945, with the rank of C.S.M. (W'.O II). He trained at 1031‘d C.I.B.T.C. and took a course at Kempville, Ontario. All his service was in Canada at MD. 10 as Chief Clerk.


Both the father and daughter were in the services. Sydney A. Hazel— wood was a trained service man having served in the First World War and1 Second World War.

Born in Lindsay, Ontario, of Canadian parents he enlisted in the Veterans Guard of Canada on June 25th, 1940, under number H-402407. In the First World War he served” with the Canadian Railway Troops as Sapper and was with them until the ~end of the war. He got his discharge and became an employee of the Canadian Government.

In this war he served his duty with the Veterans Guard: and also looking after prisoners in eight different prison camps, extending from Neyes 0n the North shore of Lake Superior, Angler, Espinola, North Bay, Monteith, Ozada, Seebee, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat. He said looking after the prisoners was a rotten business.

When asked if there was any lighting in the camps he said there were two. The first occurred when he was one of a party of 100 that marched with 1.500 German prisoners, guarding the prisoners with bay- onets and live ammunition. They began to riot but were checked by guards who were following them.

The second incident occurred at Medicine Hat when a change of guard were told by two prisoners that one had been hanged. The German prisoner had to be cut down by the guards. He had been hanged with wire. Another prisoner had barely escaped the same death.