Major Charles Arkoll Boulton, Courtesy of Man— itoba Archives.

Following his father’s footsteps quite naturally, he chose to enter the military. He received a com— mission and served in various parts of the world. After ten years of service, he sold his commission and returned to Canada where he was appointed Major in East Durham Regiment of Militia, 46th Battalion.

In 1869, Major Boulton came west as a member of the first Canadian Survey Party under Colonel J. S. Dennis. Boulton was the reluctant leader of the Portage la Prairie party in opposition to Louis Riel in 1870. He was condemned to death but, subse— quently, reprieved.

Following his release, Major Boulton returned to Ontario where, in Lakefield, near Toronto, he became engaged in lumbering operations. He mar— ried Augusta Latter and began to raise a family. When his lumbering venture failed, he came back to Manitoba.

Accompanied by his brother—in—law and another companion, he left Winnipeg on March 21, 1880 with three loaded sleighs expecting to make their westward journey on the winter trails. Diffi- culties ensued —— bad weather, snow blindness, poor food, vermin, upset loads and standing out in bliz— zards between oxen to keep from freezing to death. They arrived about April 15 in present—day Boulton Municipality. He settled on 5—23—27 and spent the summer building a log cabin for his family.

In the fall, Boulton journeyed to Winnipeg to meet his wife and their four young children. They travelled by wagon with a yoke of oxen and a team of horses back to their new home and proceeded to adapt to an agricultural life.

In the spring, he moved his family some fifteen miles south and west to the centre of the settled area. He was a promoter of railways and settle— ments and founded the town of Russell in 1881. He filed for a homestead in 1882 where the railway

97

stakes crossed the Assiniboine River and laid the foundations for the village of Shellmouth.

In 1882, a County Council was established and C. A. Boulton served as its first warden. By 1884, the district had been divided into four munici— palities and Boulton became the first reeve of the RM. of Russell.

Boulton took an active interest in provincial and federal politics. In 1881, he was a candidate in the provincial constituency of Birtle but was defeated.

He was also an active member of a number of local and provincial organizations. He served as County Register, as Chairman of Judicial Board for the Western Judicial District and was President (1890—1891) of the Manitoba Dairy Association. He was a Mason and a strong supporter of the Patrons of Industry during the 1890’s, despite his earlier Conservative tendancies. The Patrons of Industry was a farmer’s movement dedicated to co—opera- tion and education. Boulton gave news coverage to the Patrons Movement in the newspaper, the Rus— sell Chronicle, which he owned and operated from 1893—1898.

In the North—West Rebellion of 1885, he recruited volunteer men from the Birtle—Russell

Northwest Rebellion: A group of Boulton’s Mounted Infantry (No.2 Birtle Troop).

District to form the Boulton Scouts. They proved their worth in the battles at Fish Creek and Batoche. Two residents of Boulton Municipality, William Dunkin and Dan Smith, served in this campaign. Today a monument stands in the town of Russell as a tribute to the Scouts who fell in the North—West Rebellion.

Shortly after his return to Russell, Major Boulton wrote a book on his recollections of the Rebellion. He also wrote several brochures on “Free Trade” and an article on the “Resources and Development of Manitoba’ ’.

On December 10, 1899, Major Boulton received an appointment to the Senate. His sympathies lay with the West and, in 1896, introduced a motion