she had learned several languages which became an asset to her in later life.

In 1919 Metro and Alexandra were married. They farmed in Calder until 1924 where the first two of their children were born. In 1924, they bought their farm in the Boulton Municipality. Here they endured many hardships of early life on the prai- ries, but proudly raised their family which by 1934 grew to three daughters and four sons.

Their newly built log house by Snake Lake was well known for its neat appearance as was the well— kept yard. Members of the family often recall hav— ing to “sweep” the yard with hand-made willow brooms every Saturday night, in preparation for Sunday afternoon company.

Together, the family was engaged in mixed farming. While the children attended school and Alexandra kept house, Metro spent much time cut- ting cord wood, a source of grocery money after it was sold. Alexandra was often called upon to be a midwife at the birth of a baby. Her language skills were appreciated by many folks for whom she translated and wrote letters.

Not only did their life revolve around the farm, they also helped in the establishment of the sur— rounding schools and churches in the district. Each of these new buildings proved to be an asset to them and their growing children. At home, Alexandra did much sewing out of necessity to clothe the chil- dren. Her great asset was her embroidery and crocheted articles, some of which are still in circula— tion among her grandchildren. Metro became a naturalized Canadian citizen in 1930 and prized it greatly.

Their home life was interrupted in the ’40’s when Metro’s kidney ailment worsened and he had to have surgery and prolonged treatment at the Mayo clinic in Rochester. He returned home with the knowledge that his health would not permit him to carry on with full time farming. The older chil— dren, Nick, Tinnie and Christie had already left to pursue their own careers, so it was up to the younger clan and Alexandra to carry on.

In 1950, Alexandra died as a result of a stroke, leaving the young widower to complete the upbringing of teenagers, Peter, Tom, Florence and John. This he carried out and when the last of the children were on their own in 1956, he sold the farm that had been home to the family for thirty-two years. He left the district to reside in the Town of Roblin. He passed away in 1971.

Of the seven children, two are still living. Nick, the oldest of the four boys, served in World War II from 1939 to 1945. Shortly after he took up residence in B.C. until 1982. He presently lives in Roblin.

Tom has been a resident of Roblin since leaving the family farm in 1954. However, his ties with the


people of the Boulton Municipality have remained strong throughout the years. Through his employ— ment with Bauer Construction, he has helped in building many miles of road in the municipality, as well as doing many acres of land—clearing for the municipality’s faithful farmers.

Each of the other children, who are now deceased, also chose to leave the family farm and the Boulton district. Peter and John both made their homes in British Columbia where they were employed. Peter passed away in 1980 at age 53. John lost his life in an industrial accident in 1983 at age 49.

The oldest daughter, Tinnie Koski, resided in Ontario and Snow Lake briefly, returning to Roblin in 1958. She remained her father’s next door neigh— bour after he was widowed. She passed away in 1979 at age sixty.

Florence Onofreichuk, the youngest daughter, spent most of her years in the Roblin area with the exception of her last few years when she was a dialysis patient in Winnipeg. She passed away in 1981 at age fifty. The longest surviving of the girls, Christie Wowchuk, became a well—known resident of Roblin until 1984 when she passed away at age fifty-nine.

Other direct descendants of Metro and Alex— andra Antosh included fifteen grandchildren, one of which is deceased, also nineteen great—grand— children and four great—great—grandchildren.

Edwin and Hannah Armstrong \

Edwin Armstrong came west in the year of 1882 from Guelph, Ontario. He settled in Boulton on

Edwin and Hannah Armstrong.