There were no street lights until 1919 when a system was installed, operated by a power plant in the garage of Few and Henry.

On inquiring about barbers we were told that in the very early days Mother usually handled the scissors. The first barber of whom we have a record was Ernie Bishop who bought Ab Bridgeman's Billiard room on Cochran Street, south of where Patterson's Drug Store now stands. This Tonsorial and Billiard Parlor was later owned by Youngston, and then McKinley. In 1920 J. Corbet, after operating for a time as a barber in the Hotel, opened a business on Main Street. In 1923 he and his parents moved to South Railway into what is now the Cantelon home, building a poolroom beside the house. In I942 he tore down the old Post Office on Main Street, moved the poolroom to that location, and is still operating there. Mr. Corbet says that the rafters and studding of the old Office were made of poplar poles, evidently anything available was used in the earliest buildings.

During the first years of the town there was no Bank, and business had to be done in Brandon, or with private money lenders. In I906 the Bank of British North America opened an office in J. Little's old Post Office. In I907 the unused frame school was moved to Cochran Street and located about where Purdy's Garage is now, and the Bank carried on there until I912 when the present building on Main Street was erected. In the Fall of I918 the B. N. A. was taken over by the Bank of Montreal, Mr. S. Hall continuing as manager.

About 1906 the Bell Telephone Co. built a few lines in the district, and put a small switchboard in the old Post Office. In 1908 a publicly owned system, The Government Telephones, was formed, the first on the continent, and by 1909 it had built lines through a large part of the area. The first Operator was Evelyn Few (Mrs. Nourse). Since then, the Exchange Building has been completely remodelled, the switchboard is capable of handling 105 lines, and the auto toll system makes it possible to dial Brandon numbers direct. The Chief Operator is now Mary Ross, and she and her assistants handle the calls of 225 subscribers.

Fires were always a fear in the early days and while the town experienced the burning of several buildings it was

29