Alex Burnett kept a livery barn for a number of years, and quite often drove cattle buyers around. He was always ready to make a horse trade.

Some of the section foremen that used to pump an old handcar up and down the railway were D. McCauley, H. Nesbitt, C. Smith and T. Aspelund.

Methven had daily passenger and mail service with freight three times a week, until about 1950 when passenger mail trains were discontinued.

At Methven Junction, where the Canadian Pacific and the Northern Pacific which later became the Canadian Northern and later still the Canadian National crossed, a tower was built for the control of trains. In this tower were some forty levers, connected to signals, switches, and derails, operated daily by a tower man. Some of these men were: J. Foster, William Sproule, W. Hampton, George Manchulenko, J. Boyce and Charlie Gordon. This service was stopped when the train schedule was curtailed.

The Canadian National Railway used to run excursion trains to Brandon Fair and to Pelican Lake for a picnic and on the Canadian Pacific a picnic excursion used to run to Souris. In later years an annual picnic on the farm of Charlie Watson was a very popular event of the year.

Many events of entertainment were held in the school such as box socials, card parties, pic— ture shows, Christmas concerts, also concerts and plays in the church under the direction of the teacher, Miss Phyllis Batty, in 1919, and 1920.

Methven Church enjoyed a number of years of pastoral relationship in the community with Nesbitt, Treesbank, Minnewawa and Bertha, but was finally forced to close in 1919, and the con— gregation joined with Wawanesa.

Methven cemetery was started the same year as the village in 1891, located about three—quar— ters of a mile south. The first recorded burial was that of Benjamin Banting, the father of Mrs. I. W. Rogers, in 1891.

After the store closed, Harry Sillery kept the post office in his house until he moved away, then Eric Sayer took it over until he left in 1947, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Dunk moved in off the farm and carried on the post office until Mrs. Dunk died in October and Mr. Dunk in November 1955. Mr. Dunk handled the mail to the last mail train. After that, it was brought in by truck. Mr. Melvin Haithwaite then kept the post office until it was closed in 1964. This dwelling, the last in the village, was torn down in 1969, and so after

71

almost eighty years, a small shed at the railway struggles on single—handed to carry the name of Methven.

Some two years later this shed was moved away and nothing was left of Methven but a memory. Methven Cemetery will no doubt carry the name to eternity.

Ackowledgement: Much of the Methven his— tory had been reproduced from Oakland Echoes, with the kind permission of Messrs. J. B. Rome and Harvey Rogers.

Millford submitted by Mona Vane, Flora Mooney, and Ruby Clark

In July of 1879 two Dominion Surveyors, Caddy and Huston, arrived in Manitoba with a group of men with instructions to be on the lookout for a good site to build a saw mill and a grist mill. While surveying in the Souris Valley they realized that the area in the Souris River— Oak Creek region would be such a spot, so they informed Caddy’s brother—in—law, Major Rogers in Ontario, who lost no time in assem— bling men and machinery to go by boat up the Assiniboine.

Thus the village of Millford was situated on the SW1/4 of 3—8—16 in a beautifully sheltered valley surrounded by the Souris River, Oak Creek and wooded hills. Construction of build— ings was started in 1880, and the pioneers came mainly from Ontario, and from the Maritimes. They travelled by stage and train to Winnipeg, then by steamboat up the Assiniboine to the mouth of the Souris River and then down the country to the Millford site.

The first store was built by Sherwood and Burritt. Major Rogers built the first boarding house, and it was managed by Mr. and Mrs. Turnbull, later Motherwell, and then Lead— beater, when it was renamed “Leadbeater Hotel”. A second boarding house was opened by Mr. Henry “Henry’s Hotel”. Waddell and Brown opened another store in 1881, another by a Mr. Thomas. Alex Reid and L. Callender bought out the first store. Others in the store business were Hill and McLean, Lumby, Jackson, Gib— son, and Erratt. Mr. Erratt was also a postmaster, but it is not known who else. Thos. A. Dewart was the contractor—builder of Mill— ford; Wm. Turnbull was the blacksmith; John Wheeler had a shoe store and was also the cob— bler; the first registrar of the district was Martin McDonald; Frank Burnett was a Real Estate