The Ladies Aid was organized in the spring of 1908, to assist with matters concerning the church. Mrs. John Foster was the first president, serving in that capacity for many years. Mrs. Tom Scott, wife of the first station agent, was the first secretary. In 1911, there were 18 members. Much later a Women's Missionary Society was organized, with many of the same women as members. Meetings were held seperately at first but after a short time, it was found to be more convenient to hold both meetings the same day, devoting part of the meeting to each organization. In recent years they have become affiliated with the Women's Missionary Society of the Presbyterian Church of Canada. The work of the W.M.S. and the needs of the local church are met jointly within the one meeting.

Through the years the women have seen to the repairs and maintenance of the church and while the manse on the Indian Reserve was used, improve- ments on it were cared for as well. Before 1918, when Elphinstone shared the services of the minister with Strathclair, the women assumed part of the reponsibility of the manse there. During World War 1, they worked jointly with the Red Cross. To meet their financial obligations they held an annual “fowl" supper and served lunches and meals at the traditional "First of July” picnic. At one time, the meals were served in the log church on the Indian picnic grounds. A huge tent was used later, on the present picnic grounds, and when the old curling rink was built, they used the area of the ice sheets. Long tables in the shade were a welcome haven to sit at. The women have always appreciated the labor and food so graciously given by friends of the Society in projects beyond the scope of the members.


The first Presbyterian church, a frame building, was erected in 1886 on a site donated by Eph. Campbell, where C. Austin's house now stands. At the opening, Agnes Craig and Jennie McKerchar were candidates to be given the honor of cutting the first cake at the tea following. The election was a tie so both cut the cake. A new stone church was built south of the railway in' 1901. The old church building was moved and is now the Masonic Hall. The stone church was dedicated on December 22, 1901 by Rev. Baird. It lasted to celebrate its 50th anniversary. A new frame building was built and dedicated in May, 1953 and the old stone church was demolished.