the wilds of western Canada. However, he, his wife, and their four children packed their goods and set sail on a new life. They arrived in Winnipeg and pro- ceeded from there by ox cart to their homestead-a journey which took the better part of three weeks. The top cruising pace of the ox, was I believe, about two miles per hour.

The early history of our family must be recorded from memory of stories told to me by my father, and my grandmother—who lived with us for a time.

Henry and Helen Morton had nine children—four of which were born in the Old Country—and consisted of my father, John, William, Elizabeth and James Drummond (better known as Dick). The first child to be born in the new land was Charlotte—born in May 1878, followed by Jean, Henry Thomson II, Agnes and Margaret—who died at an early age and were buried at the Bend Cemetery.

My grandmother would amuse us when we were children, with tales of the early days. My favorite was the story about the ox. Grandmother and some of the children had harnessed the ox to the cart with the intent of going to the pinic at The Bend., some three and one-half miles south as the crow flies. Before they had gone far, the heel flies began to molest the ox, and he wandered into a slough for protection and no amount of coaxing could induce him to leave the comfortable spot. When the sun went down, the flies subsided and the ox decided it was time to return home. They missed the picnic and had to wait for the next year—picnics were not very plentiful in those days.

I also remember an old Indian couple that used to come to trade their wicker baskets that they had made, for flour and tea. Grandmother had learned to speak the native language, and they would visit together. They always came in the spring of the year and brought beaded moccasins and maple sugar. They would tap the trees and run the sugar into little birchbark contain- ers that they had made. \

My grandfather, in the early days, was clerk of the County Court and after the municipality was formed, he was clerk of the municipality. At that time there‘was no municipal office, so he kept the books and did the necessary work at home. The Council presented him with a desk and chair, which I have in my possession—having been bequeathed to me by my father, and which I prize very highly.

My grandparents lived for many years in a log house, but as soon as opportunity afforded, they built a fine brick house, three storeys high. Grandfather didn't live long to enjoy his fine new home—but he left a heritage for us that we have grown to value and appreciate. This old house had sheltered five generations of Mortons-which I think must be a record for any house of homestead in this municipality.

My father, John Morton, was the eldest of the second generation. He married Mary Spratt of Minnedosa, and had three children. My sister, Martha, is the oldest, and in 1936 married Leonard Thornborough of Glenboro. They in turn had three children—Henry, James and Nancy. Henry married Margaret Lyall, and farms in the Glenboro area. James married Eileen Arason, and is employed in Winnipeg. Nancy is at home attending high school. My story and that of my brother, James, appears later.