The plowing matches usually started about 10 am. with the strike out before dinner. After a more than ample picnic dinner, provided by the ladies, the plowing was completed. Points were given (1) the best strike out (2) crown (3) depth and width of furrow (4) covering of weeds (5) straightness of furrow (6) best finish. In 1919 prizes were first given for tractor drawn plows. The last plowing match was held on the Ed, McLean farm in 1939, under the

0—”

sponsorship of the Elphinstone Jr. Seed Club, assisted by the Society.

, In April 1936, the Home grounds competition was initiated to encourn age beauty and orderliness on farmsteads and town gardens and lawns. Judging has taken place in late July since then. Here special mention must be made of Dr. MacKenzie's beautiful grounds. His lovely garden is an inspiring sight in all It summer beauty.

Perhaps no other project of the Agricultural Society has had such a lasting effect on the youth of the community as that of assisting the BOYS' AND Gl RLS' CLUBS. The first such Club was organized, with the Society's backing in 1918, under the leadership of R.J. Black and Miss Shirley Freg (Mrs. Bert Battie of Brandon). Originally, club members choose their own projects but it was not too long till clubs of a specialized nature were organized.

The Junior Seed Club, with nine members, was formed in 1929 with T. Burnell, C. Glenn and A. Leitch as directors. The following year a Newdale Club was started with Tom Rose, Alex Rose and A. Leitch directors and in 1938 the Elphinstone club with J. McCutcheon and T. Burnell as directors, was formed. The Calf Club had its beginnings in 1935 with Harry Franks as one of the chief instigators and T. Head, T. Burnell, John Campbell and R.W. Glenn as directors. The last two named were replaced in the fall by Gordon Pirie and Fred Mackie and by 1938 it had a membership of 20. W.S. May served as leader of this most active club for 18 years. About 1939 a Poultry Club was formed with Mrs. Bert Burnell as head. This club has now ceased to operate, due mainly to thle fgct that this became a specialized field, with few in the immediate area an0 ve .

The Sewing Club, which was formed in 1950 with Mrs. Alex Pirie, Mrs. Stan Fee and Mrs. E.G. Morris as leaders, has now expanded into the Home Economics Club of today, with a much wider range of sewing, cooking and home decorating as their main studies. Mrs. Horace Gill was a long time leader in this work.

In 1950 4-H came in to being and‘these clubs were no longer directly under the Agricultural Society. However, they still contribute to this movement, by having competitions for them at the fairs and helping with the organizing of district rallies.

It would be impossible to list here the outstanding achievements of all these young people over the years, but there have been many. The fact that so many of our district farmers have attended Agricultural College for either the Diploma or Degree course, has been due in part to their early training in these Clubs and so indirectly to the influence of the Agricultural Scoiety. These Clubs are interested in preparing our youth for ”living' .

Needless to say, any organization with as wide a scope as this Society, has needed and has received the help of the entire community, but three men have emerged as giants in this field, two of these in the past and one in the present. They were Robert Leeson, Tom Head and now Amos Cochrane. With rapid changes taking place in agriculture, a great number of projects and interests of farm living are being looked after thrOugh the Ag. Reps. office. The value of the small fair is being questioned, in the light of the availability of up to date material in experiments with livestock and field crops. The fate of this 84 year old Society is uncertain. ls its usefulness in this modern mechanized age past?

160 '