the McKinnons, Blows, Lawrences and Strains and Greaves in atten- dance. Other pupils before 1900 were Cavers, McLarens, Rankins, Youngs, McCorquindale, Godkin, Rogers, Ry- der, Campbell, Fiskel, Orr and Richie.

The school is recorded to have been 19x24’ with 2 101/3” windows and 5 91/2” ones.

Some of the early teachers were Alex Brown, 1892, grandfather of Alex McWilliams, David Duncan 1893, D. A. Ross, 1893, Robert McGregor 1894,Murdoch McPherson, 1895, Mc Kenzie Ellis, 1896, Mrs. James Graves 1897, Edna McKellar (Mrs. Tom Caughlin) 1898, Frank Werry, 1889, Mae Corbett, 1900, Emily Howard, 1901.

Early trustees were Walter Drys— dale, Hugh McKinnon, Alex McLaren, Jas. Graves, Jas. Robinson, Geo. Gil— bert, Sr.

A new school was built in 1901, at a cost of $900. The new school was nearer the center of the district, where it still stands, now the proper— ty of Gordon Guy. The old school was moved to Mather. In 1962 the district consolidated with Clearwater School District so the school was closed.

The school was always the centre of entertainment for the district, and good times were had by young and old alike at the dances that were held there. The music was supplied by local talent.

Church was also held in the school at various times, sometimes served by the minister from Mather. Once when Rev. Waite was late for church, Mr. Frohardt said “Rev. Waite is late, We’ll have to wait on Waite”.

In the early 1900’s, the Crystal Ri— ver Football team made quite a name for themselves. Some of the players were Willis and Park Fiskel, Harvey Stone, George Gilbert. and John Guil- ford. Baseball was also a favorite sport through the years, many good teams coming from the district.

The two events during the school year were the Christmas Concert and the school picnic in June. For a few years Rock Lake and Crystal River held a joint picnic in Bear’s Hollow beside the lake. Young and old alike took an active part in the sports and the picnic supper.

THE SIGNS OF PROGRESS

The telephone came to the dist- rict in 1905 and 06, and was extended from Clearwater to Orrs, Gilberts and Fiskels. The lines were built by the farmers themselves; the next year it was extended to the rest of the dist- rict. This system despite its limitati- ons was a real asset to the men of the district and a joy to the women. It was used until 1945 when the Mani- toba Telephone System took over, bringing much improved service to the area.

Roads have greatly improved through the years from the prairie trai‘ls to the dirt grades that were im— passable after a rain, to the present gravelled roads which, with occasion- al help of the municipal snow plow are passable the year round. School buses, driven by Lindsay Webb and John McLeod, travel them daily, transporting the children of the dist— rict to Clearwater for the elementary grades and to Crystal City for the high school.

But perhaps the greatest sign of progress was in the fal'l of 1950 when the countryside at night was dotted with lights that weren’t stars, but yard lights the hydro had reached us! With it came many changes inside the home and out, possibly not shor- tening the hours of work, but making them easier and more enjoyable.

Around 1925, John Guilford had the first radio with earphones. Mr, and Mrs. Guy and family came over one evening to listen to this “wonder of the ages”. There was much static as Mr. Guy listened and he said, “John I‘m tuned into the slaughter house.”

67