were among the first family to ar- rive and settle in Clearwater with two sons Bruce and Lascelles.

The youngest son Charles was the first white child born in Clearwater. In fact he was named Charles Clear- water Cranston.

Mr. Cranston taught school in the Mount Prospect School and later was appointed the clerk for the Munici- pality of Louise which office he held for many years.

Mrs. Cranston taught music in the early days. She was organist for the Anglican Church of which she was a devoted member.

She was also active in the Womens

groups of other denominations and~

particularly the Missionary Societies.

The only surviving member of the family is Bruce, a retired Medical doctor now living in Chicago.


Mr. and Mrs. Cresswell and two year old son Ernest arrived from Emerson in the spring of 1882. They homesteaded on the shore of Rock Lake twelve miles from Clearwater, for five years. Mr. Cresswell was em- ployed by the construction company who built the Deloraine Branch of the C. P. R. Mrs. Cresswell and their two boys Ernest and Percy lived on the homestead. The-y moved into Clearwater in 1886. At first they liv- ed in a small cottage near the railway station, then bought a house that had been brought up from the valley. This house in later years was the C. .Ar- gue home, but it has bee-n demolished to make room for a modern home. The Cresswells had two more child- ren Celia and Cyril Roberts born 1899. They were born at the time of the Boer war and Robert was named after Lord Roberts and was known as “Bobs”.

Ernest went back to: England. He- spent two years in College and four years as apprentice to the building

trade. On returning home his first job was to build a verandah on the house.

Ernest later married and moved to Gladstone, Percy die-d in 1896. Celia married had two sons and died in Morris in 1918. Mrs. Cresswell died in 1811. Bobs joined the Royal Navy in the first world war, returned home, but was accidentally killed in 1934. Mr Cresswell later moved to Glad- ston where he lived for twenty years. Ernest was Mayor of Gladstone for a number of years.


by Mrs. Ro‘land Gardiner

William Gardiner came from On- tario where he had been a cheese— maker to this part of Manitoba. in 1889, bringing with him some settlers effects. The next year, Mrs. Gardi- ner, the former Jane Allison and their six children came out. They were met at Pilot Mound, and taken to Andrew Gibson’s place in the Mar: ringhurst district. On Christmas Day 1890 they moved to the Bissett farm south east of Clearwater. Then for a few years they lived at Dougal Mc Tavish’s, finally buying the E1/2 of 1-2-13 living there until 1898. Leaving Robert and Janet to look after this farm they made their final move to 51/2 of 9-2-12, renting from Moore Duncan until 1909 when they bought the farm. This was the farm land that for many years Mr, Gardiner had hoped to own. It had been purchased from the crown by Stephen Jory in 1891 and resold the same year to Moore Duncan. This farm still be- longs to the Gardiners, the youngest son Lindsay carrying on until he moved to town in 1948 when his son Stuart took over.

In 1904 the horse thieves paid a visit to the farm, stealing one of the nicest team in the district, and taking a brand new buggy, changing the shafts for a pole from the democrat. A new whip and robe were also ta-