It was before 1900 that Mr. Charles Farrow arrived in the area, and was so pleased when asked to be Bible Class teacher, that he wrote to his daughter back in Toronto, for a book that would be useful to him.

During certain summers the Cossar girls report that they, and other Wood Lake students, drove to Burnside Sunday School. The four girls, (three of them now in Boissevain), sat in the buggy, two on the seat, and two down in front, while the brother, driving, stood on the back. As he flicked the lines to keep the horses going, it was annoying to the girls that so little consideration was given to their hats.

Three well remembered teachers at Burnside were Mr. Tom Harper, Mrs. Gray Johnson and Mrs. Pettypiece.

About 1909 the Methodist Church was built at Desford. When travel became easier, Sunday School services were held there. Children or grandchildren of the earlier pupils at Wood Lake attended these classes at Desford. It is interesting to note that some of the same names now appear in the Sunday Schools in Boissevain.

Here are names in the Boissevain Telephone Directory which indi- cate Wood Lake - Desford generations: Armitage, Barwick, Blanchard, Cochrane, Clyne, Deacon, Davidson, Glenister, Henderson, Gouldie, May, Scott, McRuer, McDonald, Noble, Kempthorne, Orriss, and Ready.

WAKOPA

Sunday School started at Wakopa during 1924. Until that time the people of the Wakopa district attended church and Sunday School at Bannerrnan or Long River.

In 1924 however a group of interested people met at the Wyche home to hear Mr. Salter, a member of the Bible Society. "Wouldn’t it be nice to have a Sunday School in our awn district?” they asked. Wyche’s offered their home, people gave their services, and thus began the Wakopa Sunday School. It began with three classes, Primary taught by Mrs. Wyche, Intermediate taught by Mrs. Renwick, and Bible Class by Mr. Stanbridge, who also filled the role of Superintendent; Mrs. Wyche played the organ; and Mr. Wyche led the singing! When a Senior Class was begun Mrs. Bill Rankin displayed her leadership.

This Sunday School was undenominational. Everyone attended, winter and summer, when weather permitted.

In 1926 a new school allowed more room for meeting, and so Sunday School was held from then on at the school. Attendance ranged from forty to fifty with the Morgans, Renwicks, Foxes, Smiths, Horricks, and Rankins being some of the families who attended.

The Sunday School of Wakopa served the community well until ~ 1944. With the closing of Wakopa as a student ministerial Charge, the Sunday School also closed. The people of this area now attend Sunday School and Church in the towns nearby.

NINGA

The_Methodist Sunday School of Ninga was first organized in 1890, holding its sessions in the hall before the church service. The “hall” was the second storey of the building which contained the general store. .Mr. M. C. Flatt, the student minister at that time, was responsible for this organization. Mr. Bruin was the first Secretary~Treasurer and was followed by Mr. J. J. Nay, who held the office for over forty years. Mr. A. .G. _Sparhng was the first Superintendent. The Methodist Church was built in 1891, and from that time on Sunday School was held in that budding, continuously until 1964, when the church was closed. The influence of the Sunday School has been far reaching in the lives of" many dedicated Christian workers. In 1920 a mixed class of young people over twenty were in regular attendance, and carried over into midweek gatherings. Somewhere about that time a Sunday School orchestra was formed and this provided leadership for hymn singing at Sunday School. At the time of the fiftieth anniversary of the Church and Sunday School, there had only been seven superintendents, and those mentioned for length of service were Geo. Robinson, Thomas Steel,_and S. G. Nay. One hesitates to mention names, lest someone is unintentionally missed. However Mr. T. A. Hill gave many years as superintendent, and Gerald Hicks as his assistant. It was with deep regret that this Sunday School was closed at the end of 1964, but we believe all pupils have become enrolled in other Sunday Schools at Bmssevain, Rowland, and other Sunday Schools in Ninga.

NINGA CHURCH