Ten baby graves are here, some marked, others resting beneath the prairie grass. I am certain that the mothers will think of these lonely little graves and dream of what might have been.

This cemetery is the resting place of many men who gave of their time to build a better life Ned Henry, councillor and mm: for 27 years; William Braid, reeve for 11 years; Andrew Gourlay, councillor for 27 years; R. T. Stewart, councillor for a number of years and reeve for 8 years, and James Elliott, councillor for 15 years.

This little cemetery may not be the best kept in the Municipal- ity. But, situated high on a hill on the bank of a ravine, the breezes stirring in the poplars, the wild HOWers in the prairie grass, and the peace of a summer’s day in this hallowed spot makes one feel very close to God. Jessie Braid Clubb

For them no more the blazing hearth shall bum, Or busy housewife ply her evening care; No children run to lisp their sire’s return, Or climb his knees the envied kiss to share. 0ft did the harvest to their sickle yield, Their furrow oft the stubborn glebe has broke; How jocund did they drive their team afield! How bow’d the woods beneath their sturdy stroke. omas Gray


The Ephriam Graham family arrived from Ontario in mid- March of 1882. With them came their invalid fifteen year old daugh- ter, Laura. Her death in June of that year was the first in the com- munity. Mr. Graham with his neighbour, William Shanks, walked over their adjacent land seeking a suitable location for the burying ground. Being a wet spring, high ground on the southeast corner of Mr. Shanks’ homestead (24-13-21) was chosen. The grave was marked with a picket fence.

Though this cemetery served the district and in the early years other areas within a radius of many miles including Rivers, Rapid City, Cardale, and Oak River, it was not until 1911 that a deed to the land was registered at the land titles at Neepawa. The first trustees were Samuel Grummet, Mathias Pettapiece, and George Kelly. The early graves are duly recorded but there is no record of business prior to that time.

The records tell of a fence being erected and spruce seedlings from Riding Mountain planted in 1916. Through the intervening years the grounds have been steadily improved. With financial as- sistance in later years from the municipality of Blanshard and Sas- katchewan and volunteer help, the cemetery is well maintained.