Mrs. Vincent is a proud grandmother of 27 grandchildren and 27 great-grandchildren.


Edgar Oliver Vickery was born June 30, 1912 to Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Vickery then residing in the Lothair district. He attended both Lothair and Hamiota schools.

In 1920 the family moved to Hamiota, living in the village until 1925 when they moved to a farm 3 miles west of Hamiota. In 1929 they moved again, this time to the A. O. Glinz farm 31/2 miles southwest of Oak River. Although Edgar lives in Oak River he still operates this farm.

In 1940 Edgar married Pearl Dell of Newdale and they had one son, Keith, who married Gayle Stroud of Brandon. Keith served with the Armed Forces for about ten years, serving part of this time in Germany and North Africa. Last year he attended the Technical Vocational school in Brandon taking a course in diesel heavy equip- ment. He and his wife now live in Calgary where Keith is employed with a firm there. Keith and Gayle have no family.


William Vickery was born at Walkerton, Ontario, in 1870.' In the spring of 1880 he came west with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Vickery and two brothers, Charles and Alfred. They settled in the Lothair district on a farm now owned by Ron Bray. They were among the earliest settlers in this district and so experienced all the hardships of pioneer life. They lived in an underground house on the banks of the Oak River until they got their first log shanty built. The logs used to build this shanty were brought from north of Elphinstone. Billy loved his gun and loved to hunt. He always claimed that he kept his family in wild meat and game. In his later life he spent most of his time in the winter on his trap line travelling miles every day on his snowshoes. Everyone in the district knew him and he would often stop in at the neighbors for a hot cup of tea and a good game of “500".

His wife, Millie Harvey, was the first white baby born in the Lothair district in 1883 in an old log shanty on the farm of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Harvey. This farm is just north of the old Myra station. Millie was the eldest of 5 children, Melville Harvey and Mabel (Mrs. Lindsay) still live in Rivers. Oliver and Eva (Mrs. 5. Mills) are now deceased. The Harvey family were staunch Anglicans and attended Upland Church. The family attended Upland School walking to and from school every day in all kinds of weather.

In 1904 William Vickery married Millie Harvey in the old Upland Church. They farmed in the Lothair district on the farm now owned by Mrs. Wilbert Bray. In 1920 they sold out and moved