Hill’s Point, but now better known as Armstrong’s Point. On the breaking out of the Crimean War, Cap- tain Hill was summoned to the battlefield, but before his departure he made an arrangement with Mr. Arm— strong to take care of the Point till he should return to claim it. The captain served through the war, and actually assisted in the capture of Kertch. At the close of the war he returned to England, and has been living in various parts of Europe ever since. During the war it was reported that he had been killed, and as nothing was heard to the contrary, the report was believed. some time ago, Mr. Armstrong sold the prOperty here, and it passed through several hands. The captain, however, wasn’t dead, and hearing of the rising value of property around Winnipeg, thought he would look up his estate here. He became cognizant of the disposi- tion of his property, and for the last year or two has been occupied in proving his identity and his title to the Point, which he has at last succeeded in accomplishing. The prOperty has become very valuable and will amply repay the owner the trouble he has taken in oder to prove his right to it.”

The following year, the same paper on April 7, 1881, carried this:

"The property known as Armstrong’s Point, with a frontage of about a mile on the Assiniboine River, containing about fifty-four acres, has been purchased by John McDonald and E. Rothwell for $28,000. The purchasers intend subdividing it into suitable lots at an early date, unless sold enbloc in the meantime.”

The same year, 1881, Andrew Graham Ballenden Bannatyne, a pioneer merchant, started the construction of his huge home at the south end of what is now West Gate. It was modeled after Roth- esay, a Scottish Manor, near which Bannatyne was born, and it was commonly called Bannatyne’s Castle. (See Picture No. 2) It was built of Tyndall stone and red sandstone imported from