In 1928 an open air rink was built along the creek, near Mrs. W. Cairns home. Until the early 1940’s a boiler from on old steamer was used to flood the rink. Some good hockey players were developed here and the Orangeville team won many games at hockey tournaments which were day long events held in MacGregor during the 1930’s. Some of the hockey players were Ernest Duncan, Jack McGillvray, Joe Thompson, G. Corrigal, Charlie Lambert, Clarence and Fred Sparrow, Russell, Sterling and Trevor Cairns with Frank Philpot in goal.

Orangeville Ball Team 1957. Front L to R: Murray McQuiston, Ken Cairns, Dennis McQuiston, Harvey Kennedy, Sharon Cibula--Back L to R: Jacob Unrau, Isaac Wiebe, Mr. Diehl (Inspector), Rudolph Funk, Eva Unrau, John Wiebe

New Orangeville School

Tom and Marjorie Telford

Orangeville School Ball Team. Back L to R: Ken Cairns, John Wiebe, Murray McQuiston, Isaac Wiebe, Mary Penner--Front L to R: Dennis McQuiston, John Dyck, Gerald Dyck, Sharon Cibula

In 1956 a new modern school was built. Trustees were Les Fox, Matt McQuiston and Russell Cairns. The fall of 1966 the students were bused to Austin and MacGregor because of Consolidation. January 1/67 by arbitration 65% of the school lands were awarded to Austin and 35 % to MacGregor. The assets and liabilities were awarded proportionately to these two districts and the school building was sold. The residents of the district have almost changed completely in the last few years. (1994 - two original families; Corrigal and Morris).

Many Mennonite families have bought up land and are making their homes here. Les and Rod Fox who came as children with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Fox, in 1904 were the oldest residents left in the fall of 1966. Les Fox sold the Fox farm and left the district, while Russell Cairns was still farming near his grandparents farm of 1889, in 1966.

O R AN 6 EVI L L E 9 S. D. NO. IOII 0 HHS (AWN 1‘) DEDELAILD l“ Hll

STUDINIS ILAUIIRS. IRUBIHS Ml)

Pltl‘illkfi WW! SH‘XID lHl DISlRM A\[)UWM‘1\W\

UH HRS} PRAMI Mimi, MS {NH W Will (A \[ 'sz—M MD “M MUHDEMUHJ111‘.W23*l2-l| A. \EW SHIWL \‘xfx', “ll‘ll “V193”-

AW MS HUSH Hi ill LOVSUL‘DAWW W 10%

Hill HD ?\ 1W1 J‘

Orangeville Cairn 1990