along the south side of section 2 in township 23, and one on the river road near Vindheima. These bridges were all built shortly after Thingvalla Bridge was completed. Municipal records do not show any reference to the first construction of these bridges. but records show subsequently that the municipality had responsibility for their maintenance.

Records Show that in 1896 the municipality re- quested a grant of $300.00 for the construction of the township line bridge but there is no record to show whether or not this grant was ever receiv~ ed. On June 30. 1898, the municipality authoriz- ed a sum of $50.00 for iron and timber supplies to build this bridge. Councillor Gunnsteinn Eyélls son was authorized to purchase this material at the best terms he could negotiate. At a meeting on December 28 that same year, it was resolved that lumber be purchased from Kristjén Finnsson at a price of $10.00 per thousand square feet. This was obviously for the same bridge. However, on May 15 the following spring, the council moved that the resolution of June 30 be repealed.

The council authorized on May 30, 1906, to pay Bjarni Johannson $60.02 for repairs on the bridge and $11.70 to Sigurdsson—Thorvaldson Company for nails. Further payments were made to Jon Skulason and Bjarni Johannson later that same year, $10.20 for repairs on the bridge. Again on July 2. 1907, there is a further payment to Bjorni Johannson for repairs.

On February 2, 1902, $40.00 were voted for the Kjarna bridge and further on March 28, $60.00 were granted for repairs on the Ejarna bridge with Baldvin Halldérsson as the foreman. These figures were likely allocated for the initial construction of the bridge at Kjarna.

Before dredging was done in the river bed itself, there were several ford crossings in places where both the sloping banks and the river bottom were very firm and would stand up to heavy loads. One such crossing was at Eyéifsstobum, where steam tractors pulling threshing machines crossed safe— ly. Later, trucks with full loads of gravel often drove over the river at this crossing. There were several

18

other places where the river could be safely ford- ed when the flow in the river was low. One was up the river on the farm of Graenanesi, another was a little way south of Fogruhlib, one at Gilsz—i and some others.

Little information is found in early RM. minutes on bridge construction except as regards the i)- ingvalla bridge. which was built by municipal assistance in 1890. There is. however, a record of an application for a government grant in 1896 in the amount of $300.00 to construct a bridge over the Icelandic River on mail route in section 35-22—3E. it is not known if this grant, or any por— tion of it, was given but on June 30, 1898 the council assumed responsibility for $50.00 worth of timber and iron material for building a bridge over the river in section 2—23—3E, likely the same construction schedule. In furtherance of this effort, a resolution was passed on December 29, 1898 approving a purchase of lumber from Kristjén Finn~ sson at $10.00 per M. However, at the May 15 meeting next year the December 29 resolution was repealed, with no further mention of the bridge work at that time.

There were, within the next few years, occa— sional grants made towards repairs and maintenance of the four bridges crossing the river around the turn of the century. These were the bridge at Vindheimum, the one at Reykhélsstéit‘fv um, the bridge north of Kjarna and the bingvalla bridge. Years later, there were three more bridges constructed in the Geysir ’area. One was at Fogruhlio, one was on the Asgeirs line and one was on the Hots line (Range line}. Some of these bridges were not kept in repair and were eventually demolished. There are now, besides the Vin— dheima bridge, three others in the Geysir com- munity: one in the line between Townships g2 and 23, one on the Klarna line and one on the Asgeirs line between Sections 19 and 20. There is further a concrete filled low level ford crossing at Halandi constructed mainly for farmers that happen to have land on both sides of the river.

obi"?