JACK TUTTLE FAMILY contributed by Jack Tut- tie

My grandfaflrer, Henry Tattle, came from England in 1878 and my grandmother came from Ireland around 1878. They were married in the early 1886’s and settled in the McBride district.

Frank Tattle, my father was born in Rapid City about 1886. My mother, Bertha, Mellick, was born in Zurich, Ontario. They were married in 191?.

My father, Frank served in the first World War of 1914-1918. He was wounded and came home. He re- enlisted and recruited for the 226th Battalion at Rapid City and went overseas again as a sergeant. He was a Special Guard when the Prince of Wales visited Canada in September, 1919.

Father passed away in 1934 and was buried in the Rapid City cemetery. Mother passed away as a result of a car accident in 1972 and is buried in the Brandon cemetery. My grandparents are both interred in the Rapid City cemetery.

I, J ack, sisters Evelyn and Marie and brother Bill, took our schooling at Tremaine, Willow Grove and Rapid City schools. Bill went to school by dog sled.

I married Mavis Hopkins of Bernice, Manitoba in 1939 at Brandon. I joined the Army in 1939 and spent 1939-1945 overseas. I was in the army until 1968 and am now a desk clerk at the Beaubier Hotel, Brandon. We raised a family of four; Kenneth, Fred, Cheryl and Su— Ann.

Kenneth married Jackie Ladiy of North Bay, 0n— tnrio in 1960 and have four children, Tim, Tammy, Todd and Tracy. Ken works in Ottawa and is Public Relations Officer for the Department of Transport; Fred married Norma Patterson of Brandon in 1967 and they live in Ottawa. Fred is a captain in the army. They have two children, Mark and Carrie; Cheryl married Ernest Ramsay in 1966 and have a family of three, Patti, Kelly and Darryl. Ernest works for New Brunswick Good Roads and lives in St. John, New Brunswick; Su-Ann was secretary at Christies School Supply, Brandon, for seven years. In 1976 she moved to Calgary and works for the Mutual Life Insurance.

My sister, Evelyn, married Arthur Filling (now widowed) has one daughter Jeri and they live in Ed- monton.

My sister Marie, married Murray Silliphant, youngest son of Sam Silliphant, of Rapid City. They have two daughters, Gail and Vena. Gail is married to Dave Waller and has a son Michael. They all live in Edmonton.

My brother Bill is married to Julie Arnold. He has his own business “Tottle’s Roofing” in Edmonton.

GEORGE H. UNDERHILL HISTORY submitted by Geo. H. Underhill

My father was raised and educated in England. He came with his parents from Bootle near Plymouth, Devonshire, to Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A. They were there when the Boston Tea Party took place. I have heard my Grandad tell of piling trunks and boxes before the door so no one could break in during the night. He said it was usual to hear shooting in the streets at night. One morning when he opened his door for business he found a dead man laying at his door.


He refused to take the oath of allegiance, so the Americans kicked him and his family out. They came to Guelph, Ontario and started a business there.

My tether, George Hawkin Underhill married Mary Jane Trott, April 24, 18'1'9. They crossed the Red River on a scow. I have heard my dad say when he left 0n- tario he had $50fl.00 in his pocket and his outfit paid for. They travelled to Rapid City by team and wagon. There was no bridge across the river so they had to ford the river.

They arrived at Rapid City in late May. I have the receipt given my father which reads Office of Domi- nion Lands, Little Saskatchewan, May 30, 18’39, received from George H. Underhill, the Public Lands of the Dominion to be paid on filing an application to be entered for a Homestead Right which he did for the N.W.i/4 23-14~20W.

My father and Thomas Trott who was my mother’s brother homesteaded and Prewempted the whole Sec- tion 22.

Thomas Trott came from Forest, Ontario, at the same time my parents, came.

The first summer they lived in a tent until November. My father built a log house, which they lived in for only a few years. He built another log house on his Pro-emotion. I have heard my mother tell about my dad going to Rapid City in the spring of 1880 with a team and sleigh and meeting three couples and their firstborn stranded in Rapid City who had come from Ontario the previous summer. They had filed on homesteads, built houses and returned to Ontario in the fall. When they came back to Manitoba the follow- ing spring they had no one to meet them so my father brought them out to their place for the night. The four couples and their first born spent the night in the log house. My oldest brother Dick had been born a few weeks before. They were namely, Ned Soldan, Mrs.

' 'Mr.‘ and Mrs; George‘Underhlll on his 90th birth- day. ~