occupy council seats in spite of pleas from the newspaper.

1925 —— The new year began with no mayor or com- plete council until E. Riesberry, in reply to a petition, took the position as corporation head with H. Simpson and G. Butchard filling the vacant council seats.

Towards the end of January, L. Woollcombe retired after 15 years as manager of the Union Bank with his position being taken by H. McClung. Shortly thereafter, an Ottawa announcement revealed that Rapid City would have a Royal Bank on Sept. 1, 1925.

More business changes followed as the Queen’ 3 Hotel owner was now H Arrowsmlth. As well, Earl Hotham entered into a partnership with S. E. Birkinshavv. C. Cole let the public know that he could he hired for painting, while J. Nowasad bought .1. Burland’s store buildings. Woo Lee offered a laundry service. Dr. C. Zilz, dentist, reorganized the Boy Scouts group in town.

A gang from Brandon was quite busy helping themselves to money, articles and the like from business places in town. After investigations police ap- prehended the culprits and life returned to normal following that bit of excitement.

No doubt wishing to improve recreation during the summer,,the Board of Trade undertook to establish a bathing place an the north side of the river just east of the bridge. Soon teams were hauling sand and gravel while volunteers erected the bath houses just in time for holidays. Usage of the premises for laundry and watering of livestock was discouraged. The facility continued to improve with the installation of lights and painting of the buildings.

F. P. Grove brought honor to Rapid City. After 1923, while his second book, “The Turn of the Year” was being received by the public, he had resigned as school principal. However, due to the departure of his successor, A. McLeod, Mr. Grove returned to teaching until 8. Bryan was hired as a replacement.

Elections on the Federal level showed a preference for Col. Mullins while on the local scene, E. Ric-sherry was elected as mayor for the ith term. Beattie, Bellman, Butchart, J. Haire, Simpson and T. (3. Sam— ple were sworn in as councillors. For once, council was praised but they had to reduce taxes down 4.1 mills, in order to be so recognized.

The year ended with a warning note from the government who stated that operating a radio without a licence was illegal!

1928 w Beautiful weather highlighted the beginning of 1926. In fact, passers-by paused to admire budding lilacs in G. Clackson’e yard while automobile owners drove along snow free country roads.

Once again, thieves struck Rapid City removing cash and articles. Investigation by police revealed lit- tle but soon after, a plain clothes man was back with a magistrate from Minnedosa. It seems that many car owners had forgotten to renew their motor vehicle licences After penalties of fees and costs were im- posed on a few, it was surprising to find how quickly memories improved!

Fire prevention week went by quite smoothly ex- cept for a series of fires at the nuisance grounds (familiar happening). Playful winds would scatter

40

embers just as hardworking firemen thought they had contained the blaze. Flames crept near the railway bridge and even burned one end of a stock car. Some felt a bill should be sent to the CNR for saving their stock car but imagine how shocked the railway com- pany would be to receive a bill from the Town demand- ing payment for fighting fires started by town people!

Taxes reduced in 1925 needed to be raised by 3.1 mills in 1926 due to the cost of preparing a principal’s residence, purchase of a road maintainer and a horse, and repair of sidewalks. Hope was expressed of mov- ing the corporation office to soothers structure but naught came of the idea.

As fall progressed, A. Howden, lawyer, moved to the west coast after disposing of his business to H. Sanderson. Despite stormy weather, many citizens turned out to pay their last respects to Dr. J . Mnlvey who passed away 21 years of service to the communifi ty. His place was taken by Dr. W. Ross.

September brought rain and snow, idling the many threshers. Provincial elections closed with J. Glenn defeating Col. Mullins. 0n the local scene, Mayor Riesberry remained in the position as did all coun- cillors.

1927 —- This year was well advanced before A. Hartwell was named post-master while '1‘. Wolsten— holme was elected tcra provincial government seat.

Temperance people and beer consumers clashed over enlargement of facilities in the hotel with the temperance people winning.

Canada diamond jubilee was celebrated in Rapid City with patriotic fervour and enthusiasm. In spite of cold rainy weather, area residents joined school children in a parade to the fair grounds where a sports program, a picture show and dance rounded off the day. The following Sunday was the scene of a religious service to conclude the commemoration ceremonies.

Magistrate Northern was a busy man hearing pleas by 12 town youths who were charged with causing damage to a Presbyterian church (later changed to a gymnasium). After a warning, the youths departed in the care of their parents. Later H. Walden purchased the building for a garage.

Another gas pump joined six others in Town in order to quench the thirst of area automobiles. The provincial government agreed to provide assistance in the repairing of the local bridge. A clean-up campaign was quite successful and this was followed by the es— tablishment of a war memorial. Not to be outdone by anybody, the fair board obtained a driving park while a golf club was in the formation stage.

Remember that hand of long ago that was given a grant and asked to play on a regular scale? It seems that the band folded and attempts to set up a new one ran into trouble because no one showed up at the re- organizational meeting!

After five consecutive terms as mayor, Mr. Riesberry retired and was presented with a fountain pen and pencil set for his years of service. As well, recognition was given to Mr. Riesherry for his guidance in establishing the Town’s financial situation from one of intolerable to one of sanity. His place was taken by Councillor Beattie whose seat was filled by M. A. Anderson.