Tearing up streets is an essential part of Brandon’s development. Brandon ratepayers had approved, in June, 1910, the cost of $140,000 to build the railway; however, the matter of ownership and operation had not been decided. Another referendum November 9, 1911 gave approval to inviting private ownership bids. A British syndicate, represented by Brandon resident, J. D. McGregor, was chosen April 10, 1912 to complete the line started by the City, and to

With flags flying, Brandon street car service gets under way in June, 1913. One route went aiong Tenth , Street, turning west to Thirteenth Street then south to the Exhibition . Grounds. Another went east to Percy Street. and the western service extended as far as 24th Street.

operate it for thirty years.

Despite the passing of the referendum, however, there was sufficient objection voiced against the terms of the agreement to induce Mr. McGregor to withdraw his claim. Another plebiscite held June 14, 1912 once again gave approval to public ownership, and also to a $300,000 construction by— law.

Mr. Speakman, the City Engineer, again got Operations underway. Mr. David Heatle

44

y, on

loan from the CPR, was master tracklayer, and William Wakefield acted as timekeeper for the working crew of recently—arrived immigrants from Poland and Galicia. The overhead work was done largely by men from the United States.

Powered by electricity ob— tained from the Brandon Electric Light Company, the trial run of the first street cars took place May 16, 1913, and regular service began lune 2, 1913.

m...» . .0,