the whole distance the car goes which will often be about 3 miles.

4th: Left Toronto at12:15 very much the better Qfoar two days’ rest for which we paid one sovereign for board and lodging at a hotel. We passed through some cf the prettiest country we had seen since we left home what we had seen before this did not look very promising but all the way from Toronto till we reached Sarnia about 6 :30, the country looked well. The land was nicely laid out and seemed to be well cultivated but I think they might make some improve» ments in the way quitncing as they take up a good lot of land that might be ploughed if they were put up like our fences at home. Took the boat at Sornia for Duluth ~— she sailed about ten o’clock. When we got on and saw oar sleeping accommodation we found that we were not going to be any better than pigs —- no beds or bed clothes but merely the bare board to lie on so I just made up my mind to pay the diflerence and take a cabin passage as she only carried two classes of passengers. It cost £5. extra but I would rather have paid the double cf that than have gone into the steerage for the length if time we will be on the journey. Paid 13/ -~ extra for my luggage to Duluth.

5th: Got up at 7:30 o’clock and had a splendid brealg‘ost it: the saloon on board the steamer Man- itoba. Called at several places during the day and tool: on passengers and luggage and a lot qt" cattle and horses. We have a very mixed cargo —— horses, cattle, sheep, pigs, poultry, all sorts dwggons and agricultural implements, furniture, young trees and berry bushes. We had a very rough night, plenty of the passengers were sick but our party seemed to have got seasoned with the sea voyage as it did not affect us. We had a good laugh at Wm. Rutherford ~— when it ms at its roughest he jumped out ofbed and got dressed and a life preserverfistened around him to be in readiness for the last shift but after sitting for some time in this guise he saw that he was going to be disappointed so he went to bed again. There is a life preserver placed under the mattress for each pas- senger so you have some chance of escape tfyou only get a little time.

6th: Called at several places today and took on and put q?” both passengers and luggage. Reached a place called Bruce Mines about ten o’clock at night and as we had a great many passengers, livestock and luggage to go of here, we stopped for the night. One of the fools fill of the gangway when it was going ashore and was drowned.

7th: Terrible thunder storm this morning, never saw anything like it in our own country. It was a splendid sight to be in bed and watch the lightning through the window. (Some tip to a small landing on the American

side about two o’clock, just before entering Lake Superior. and took on coal to carry us on our journey. 8th: Nothing of any importance today. Country thick- ly wooded all along the shore. Called at several places andpnt 0}?” mail and passengers. Weather fine but not nearly so hot as we had in Toronto.

9th: Very foggy morning and going half speed in Consequence. Called at Thunder Bay and landed passengers and luggage. Had a hard struggle to get into the Bay on account of the ice.

10th: Lake very smooth but weather foggy. Encoun- tered another lot of ice before we could get into Duluth which we reached about six o’clock. Our luggage ms here ransacked again by the Customs House Chflicers as this is in the State MMinnesota but they were not so particular with the Scotch luggage as they were with the Canadian. It was about ten o’clock before we got allright and got up to a hotel where we had to stay all night as we could not get a train until five o’clock the next night.

11th: Got up about nine and after having brealg‘ast went out to get a shot as we saw plenty of wild duck but we could not get near them they were so wild. Went to the train about four to see after luggage and had to pay another£5 .3/ —for carriage to Winnipeg. 12th: Going along in the train through very rough looking country. A terrible thunder storm about six o’clock a.m. Reached Glyndon station about 9 am. , where we had to change carriages but had time to take breakfast after which we went on again without anything of interest taking place till we stopped for half an hour to get dinner at a refreshment room at one of the stations, for which we paid half a dollar each. Reached St. Vincent about5 o’clock p.m., and had to change carriages again. After getting out here we were told that the train that was to take us the next part of the journey was qfi" the rails into the ditch and we would likely have to wait for an hour or so before she came in to take as cfi so we went away and had tea and came back and sat down in the waiting room looking every minute for the lost train but she did not land until boat 9 a.m.. so we had a wearisome wait. Btthefi St. Vincent about half—past nine and pro seeded at a very slow speed as the rails were in a very bad state most of the way. Landed in Winnipeg about 1 pm. As soon as we had landed we went at once to the immigration agent who ofirered its the use of tents . free so we accepted the ofier as we would have a few days here before we got rigged out. Slept first class the first night under canvas.

14th: Went to the Land Agent about the first thing to see where they would advise as to go and after we had a long talk he took as through two or three cattle yards where oxen were for sale but we made no purchases. The remainder of the day was spent in