W.C. Murray fonds
Walter Charles Murray started his academic career at the University of New Brunswick, receiving a BA in 1886. After earning a grammar school license at the provincial Normal School, Murray went to University of Edinburgh and received a MA in philosophy in 1891. After a brief period of study in Berlin, Murray returned to UNB as Professor of Philosophy and Economics. From 1892 to 1908, he was Munro Professor of Philosophy and lecturer in Education at Dalhousie University. In 1908 he was appointed the University of Saskatchewan's first President, a position he held until his retirement in 1937. In conjunction with his duties at the University of Saskatchewan, Murray served on a number of commissions, boards and councils. Upon his retirement he was named President Emeritus and remained active in the local community until his death in March 1945. The digitized material from the W.C. Murray fonds consists of correspondence, notes, reports, photos, maps, evidence and lists pertaining to Dr. Murray's activities on three royal commissions and as a judge of the Community Progress Competitions. These Competitions were conceived by the Colonization Department of the C.N.R. to ascertain what contributions people of Continental European origin had made to community life in certain districts, and to what extent they stimulated further community progress and development. The records contain the assessments of the judges on community life on the districts that entered the competition.