Brandon Sun Weekly
The Brandon Sun Weekly began publication on January 19, 1882, when the city of Brandon was hardly more than a collection of tents. Nevertheless, the newspaper did well and continued until July 1, 1897. Soon after a new daily Sun was established and is still published today.
Courrier du Nord-Ouest
This short-lived weekly newspaper (May to December 1888) was founded in St. Boniface by James Prendergast, Provincial Secretary in the newly-formed Liberal government under Thomas Greenway. The editor was former M.P. for Ste. Agathe, Ernest Cyr. Its publication was in response to a need for a French language political newspaper for the provincial Liberal party. The newspaper could not gain the support of the staunchly Conservative population of St. Boniface, and disappeared following Cyr’s defeat in the provincial election in June 1888.
Czas (The Times)
Czas is the oldest Polish language newspaper weekly in Canada. It was established in Winnipeg in the fall of 1914, and first published by a local Canadian firm owned and operated by the well—known Czech immigrant, Franciszek Dojacek. From its beginnings, Czas ensured that its Polish roots and content remained intact, as it was closely connected with members of the Polish Gymnastic Association, Sokol. It was through Sokol’s perseverance and guidance that facilitated the creation of the newspaper. For nearly a century it has remained an invaluable resource of information to the Polish community in Canada -- informing new immigrants of local and international events, and assisting them with the new challenges and adjustments they faced in their new country. Through the years, Czas has provided a nonpartisan link between Polish-Canadians, and Polish communities beyond Canada’s borders, -- allowing for the free dissemination of information about their ancestral home. In 2005, the newspaper relocated to Toronto, and merged with another Polish newspaper, Związkowiec (The Unionist), to form Czas-Związkowiec. In the Fall of 2003 the executive board of Czas – Polish Press Ltd., agreed to find a permanent home for their collection of bound newspapers. The Board approached the U of M Archives & Special Collections to house this unique and historical collection of Polish-Canadiana. On January 2004 the executive board of Czas officially transferred the Czas newspaper collection from Czas – Polish Press Ltd., to the University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.
Daily Nor'Wester
The Daily Nor'Wester was published six times a week (except Sundays) from February 3, 1894 to June 8, 1898. Prospectus Dec. 29, 1893. It was started by W.F. Luxton, the founder of the Manitoba Free Press. Luxton sold the Daily Nor'Wester in 1896 and under new ownership, morning and evening editions were published from January 2, 1897 to June 8, 1898. It was continued as the Morning Telegram on June 9, 1898.
Echo du Manitoba
A weekly founded January 27, 1898 by a group of Liberals including Morris M.P. Alphonse Martin, l’Écho du Manitoba had a specific goal. Laurier’s victory at the federal level and the Laurier-Greenway compromise of 1897 had revived the French Liberal party in Manitoba, which needed an official organ. Its program was simple: “our race, our language, our religion”. The last issue was published on July 20, 1905, when its editor Henri d’Hellencourt left Manitoba for Québec.
La Liberté
Manitoba’s longest-running French-language weekly, La Liberté was founded by Adélard Langevin, Archbishop of St. Boniface, and first appeared May 20, 1913. A crusading newspaper, La Liberté was the voice of the French-speaking population of Manitoba and defender of its linguistic and religious rights, forcing its principal rivals, Le Manitoba and Le Soleil de l’Ouest, to eventually cease publication. Still published today, its focus is on news and information for the province's francophones.
Le Manitoba
Le Manitoba took over from Le Métis in 1881 its new title reflecting the changing demographic make-up of the province. It disappeared in 1925, losing a hard-fought battle against the Church-supported Conservative weekly, La Liberté. Weekly editions are available from October 13, 1881 to October 5, 1882 inclusive. It is published in a semi weekly format only from October 26, 1882 to October 18, 1883. For a short period, October 18, 1883 to January 10, 1884, it is published in both semi weekly and weekly editions. From January 17, 1884 until 1925, it is published weekly only.
Le Métis
Le Manitoba took over from Le Métis in 1881 its new title reflecting the changing demographic make-up of the province. It disappeared in 1925, losing a hard-fought battle against the Church-supported Conservative weekly, La Liberté. Weekly editions are available from October 13, 1881 to October 5, 1882 inclusive. It is published in a semi weekly format only from October 26, 1882 to October 18, 1883. For a short period, October 18, 1883 to January 10, 1884, it is published in both semi weekly and weekly editions. From January 17, 1884 until 1925, it is published weekly only.
Libre Parole
La Libre parole, a weekly, started May 4, 1916. Larger and more carefully laid-out than its predecessors, this Liberal newspaper could not compete with its Conservative rivals Le Manitoba and La Liberté and ceased publication in 1919. This digitized collection ends with the September 20, 1917 issue.
Manitoba Free Press
On November 9, 1872 a free prospectus was circulated throughout the province "with the object of giving the people a specimen of our journal." Its motto was "Freedom in trade - Liberty in religion - Equality in civil rights." The publishers William F. Luxton and John A. Kenny explained that it was printed on "the first power printing press ever brought northwest of St. Paul, Minn." The weekly newspaper started publishing every Saturday on November 30, 1872 continuing until May 18, 1878 under the title Manitoba Free Press. It then continued under the title Manitoba Weekly Free Press.
Manitoba Gazette
The Manitoba Gazette was a weekly that appeared from October 12, 1878 until March 15, 1879. It claimed to be Liberal-Conservative and an opposed to the current provincial government. It ceased publication after being sued for libel.
Manitoba Herald
The Manitoba Herald was published daily from January 11, 1877 until August 2, 1877. Its intention was to defend the interests of Manitoba and to keep an eye on the behaviour of the province’s representatives.
Manitoba Liberal
The Manitoba Liberal was established after the sale of the Manitoba News-Letter to the Manitoba Printing Company. On July 1, 1871, the News-Letter announced that it would be replaced by the Liberal and urged its readers to subscribe to it. The Liberal appeared weekly from July 12, 1871 until May 1873 and was continued by the Nor’Wester in 1874.
Manitoba News-Letter
The Manitoba News-Letter belonged to John Christian Schultz and was published twice a week from September 30, 1870 to July 1, 1971. It was anti-Catholic and pro-Canadian and a violent opponent of supporters of the provisional government. After it was sold to the Manitoba Printing Company, the paper reappeared as The Manitoba Liberal.
Manitoban and Northwest Herald
The Manitoban and Northwest Herald appeared weekly from October 15, 1870 until November 21, 1874, though its publication was suspended from September 21 - November 23, 1872. From November 19, 1870 until September 14, 1872, its title changed to the Weekly Manitoban and Herald of Rupert's Land and North-Western Territory. It was continued by the Standard.
Portage la Prairie Weekly
This newspaper was first published on September 9, 1881 for a period of 35 years until its last issue on September 6, 1916. During its long existence it was a weekly publication with the exception of two short stints of semi-weekly or thrice weekly issues. Portage La Prairie residents knew it by many different titles, listed below in chronological order. It began as the Portage la Prairie Weekly Tribune, first issued on September 9, 1881. The Tribune absorbed another newspaper, the Marquette Review and Portage Times on February 8, 1884 and until August 29, 1884 published under the new title Portage la Prairie Weekly Tribune and Marquette Review. Unfortunately of this early period, only the 1884 issues are known to exist. Portage la Prairie Weekly Tribune-Review was published September 5, 1884 to November 4, 1887. Portage la Prairie Weekly Review was published November 11, 1887 to December 22, 1898. Portage la Prairie News and Portage la Prairie Review was published from February 2, 1899 to November 26, 1902. Published weekly except for the period from October 4, 1899 to May 13, 1901 when it was published 3 times weekly. Portage la Prairie News was published weekly from December 3, 1902 until June 29, 1904. Portage la Prairie Semi-Weekly News was published from July 8, 1904 until January 9, 1906. Portage la Prairie Review was then published every Tuesday and Friday from January 10 - March 30 1906. Portage la Prairie Weekly Review (1906) was published from April 4, 1906 until September 6, 1916.
The Enlightener
The Enlightener appeared on June 25 and 26, 1919 only as special strike editions of the Western Labor News, itself the official organ of the Winnipeg Trades and Labor Council.
The Manitoban
The Manitoban began publication in 1914 as the official newspaper for University of Manitoba students. It has a variable publication schedule, but in general has been published weekly during the school year and sporadically over the summer. It was formerly published by the University of Manitoba Students' Union, but latterly has been published by the Manitoban Newspaper Publications Corporation, an independent organization.
The Winnipeg Socialist
The Winnipeg Socialist was published monthly by Local No. 5 of the Socialist Party of Canada. Its strike edition appeared on May 1, 1921.
The Winnipeg Tribune
The Winnipeg Tribune, one of western Canada's oldest newspapers, ran from 1890 to 1980. The Tribune was a rival to the Winnipeg Free Press. While it had excellent coverage of local events and personalities, it also reported on national and international news.